The Faulkner County Sheriff’s Office continues to investigate a Friday night incident that resulted in an officer-involved shooting.

"Per FCSO policy and procedure, the deputy was placed on paid administrative leave," spokesman Adam Bledsoe said Friday. "This incident is considered under investigation. Charges are pending."

Chief Deputy Matt Rice explained Monday that the sheriff’s office is investigating the situation to make sure the force used by Deputy Kennan Wallace was necessary, noting FCSO always investigates when deputies discharge their weapons.

"Anytime we have a situation where an officer fires his weapon, we have to look into that and make sure that everything was done by policy," he said.

The suspect who allegedly fled from Wallace, 33-year-old Joedee Lynn Bailey, faces three Class D felonies — aggravated assault, fleeing and possession of drug paraphernalia — following the incident that caused Wallace to shoot off his weapon.

Court documents show the sheriff’s office was called out to a possible drug deal in the Taylor’s Made Cafe parking lot around 7 p.m. Friday. Wallace responded to the scene and located the suspect vehicles — a gray Nissan Sentra and an Oldsmobile passenger car. As Wallace made his way toward the vehicles, the driver of the Oldsmobile, later identified as Bailey, attempted to leave the parking lot.

"Deputy Wallace reported the vehicle came towards him at that time near the center of the parking lot," the affidavit reads. "He exited his vehicle as it got closer and spoke with the driver, Mr. Joe Bailey. As he approached the vehicle he noticed a glass pipe in Mr. Bailey’s lap."

Bailey gasped when he looked down into his lap and noticed the pipe.

After Bailey acknowledged the paraphernalia was in plain sight, Wallace instructed him to remain calm and put the vehicle in park. According to the affidavit Wallace also told Bailey to put his hands on the steering wheel. The passenger, Melissa Thompson, was instructed to put her hands on her window.

Wallace said he reached into the vehicle to grab the steering wheel when Bailey attempted to flee.

Bledsoe said Wallace fired one round during the struggle.

"Deputy Wallace was half way inside the vehicle attempting to gain his balance," the affidavit reads. "In fear for his life, he grabbed his issued firearm and fired one round at center mass of the suspect. He was able to free [himself] and chased the vehicle on foot through the parking lot."

The chase ended when Bailey drove into a parked vehicle near the front of the parking lot.

At this point, Bailey was arrested "without further incident," Bledsoe said.

Rice said it is unclear at this point how much property damage was caused during the incident.

Bailey, who is currently being held without bond in the county jail, is set to appear in Faulkner County Circuit Court at 9 a.m. Oct. 16.