• The Nursing Home Gift Fund of Faulkner County will host its annual hamburger cookout on the front lawn of the Faulkner County Courthouse Tuesday, May 16, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. For $5, come get a hamburger, chips and a drink. Fresh-baked cookies will also be sold for $1 a package.
• The Faulkner County Tea Party will meet May 18 at noon at Larry’s Pizza in Conway. Speaker for May 18 is Arkansas Lt. Gov. Tim Griffin. The meeting is open to the public.
• Needs Creek Baptist Church Cemetery Decoration Day on May 20 with a potluck at noon. Donations are now being accepted for the upkeep of the cemetery as well. Mail donations to Brent Clay-Sec.Treas. P.O. Box 842, Greenbrier, AR 72058, or call 501-733-8626. To find the church, take Highway 65 North to Springhill, turn right on Highway 287 and drive approximately 3 miles.
• The annual Mt.Vernon-Enola School reunion will be held Saturday, May 27, at the Mt, Vernon-Enola school cafeteria in Mt. Vernon. The reunion will began at 11 a.m. with potluck lunch at noon. The graduating class of 1967 will be honored. All former students, teachers, faculty and staff are invited to attend. Bring yearbooks, pictures and memories to share. For additional information call 501-680-4633, 501-733-7207, or 501-849-2145.
• Students in grades 3-12 as of Fall 2017 are invited to audition for the award-winning Voices of Central Arkansas (VOCA) Choir on Tuesday, May 16 and Wednesday, May 17, at Snow Fine Arts, Room 312A from 3:30 – 6:30 p.m. A short audition is required for membership. To audition this month for the 2017-18 season, students or their parents should contact Dr. Cook-Cunningham at email@example.com or call 816-718-9200. No previous experience is required.
UCA Outreach/Get more information, costs and register online for the following events at http://uca.edu/outreach
• May 16 – No Problem Gnocchi – 6 to 8:30 p.m. – UCA Downtown – Join Spencer Pearson, owner of Streetside Creperie, in making Italian Gnocchi, using baked potatoes in a culturally different tradition.
• May 22 – June 9 – ACT Prep Course – Monday, Wednesday, Friday (excluding Memorial Day) – 5- 7 p.m. – This course is designed for high school students who have previously scored between 17 – 25 on the ACT. Four UCA faculty will review subject material and offer test-taking tips to help students progress through the exam.
• May 23 and May 25 – Arkansas Boaters’ Education – 6-9:30 p.m. – Brewer-Hegeman Conference Center – The Arkansas Boaters’ Education Course teaches fundamentals of safe boating. This course included Arkansas Boating Law, classification, registration, rules of the road and much more. This is a free course.
• June 10 – Plates and Palettes: Bruschetta and Brushes – 5-8 p.m. – UCA Downtown – Culinary and art join forces. Connie Tipton will conduct and interactive demonstration of Italian style bruschettas. Next, Branch Out Paint Bar’s artist will guide you through replicating the night’s featured painting.
• July 17 – 21 - Cub Fit Camp – Brewer-Hegeman Conference Center - This camp is for rising 4th and 5th graders. It includes a dynamic daily schedule of activities related to fitness, nutrition, and wellness! Family members will be invited to see the campers present what they have learned the final afternoon of camp.
The Faulkner County Tea Party will host its Soapbox, an opportunity for it’s members to sound off about issues they believe are not progressing as they should, or to make announcements of upcoming events they believe are important to the community. The luncheon starts at noon at Larry’s Pizza in Conway. The public is welcome.
• Judge Troy Braswell will present and discuss Faulkner Counties "Teen Court" at the May Faulkner County Tea Party Forum, held at the McGee center at 7 p.m. Braswell will outlining how Teen Court works and why it improves the quality of life for all participants and the community at large. The forum is open to the public.
• Barefoot in the Park will be performed on May 19 and 20 at 7p.m., and May 21 at 2p.m. at the Treischmann Fine Arts Building at Hendrix College. Tickets are $15 and may be purchased online at redcurtaintheatre.com or at the door. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Mt. Olive Cemetery, located on the corner of Rocky Point Road and Coker Road in Vilonia, is in need of volunteers. The historic cemetery dates back to the 1870s. Don Snow has been the caretaker for many years and has been mowing and doing general upkeep. He is asking for anyone who has interest in the cemetery to attend a meeting at 1 p.m. at the cemetery to discuss future plans. Everyone is asked to attend and share thoughts and ideas for further upkeep of the cemetery. Call 501-329-5040 for more information.
• The Faulkner County Master Gardener plant sale will be held Saturday, May 13, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Conway Expo Center located at 2505 East Oak Street (Hwy 64 East). A wide variety of annuals, perennials, vegetables, herbs, trees, shrubs, and grasses will be on sale along with containers, houseplants, succulents, and garden art. Some special varieties of hostas, ferns, caladiums, and daylilies will also be on sale. A beautiful handmade potting table will be raffled, and Janet Carson, Extension Horticulture Specialist, will speak at 10:00. Master Gardeners will provide demonstrations and advice regarding the available plants. Proceeds fund scholarships for students majoring in plant sciences. For more information contact the Faulkner County Extension Office at 501-329-8344.
• Keep Your Child Safe and Secure Online is set 9 a.m. to noon. at Brewer-Hegeman Conference Center. This presentation is designed for parents, youth leaders or any community member wanting to learn how to keep children safe online. This is a free course. Register online at http://uca.edu/outreach/kids-and-families.
The Conway AARP chapter will have their May meeting on Monday, May 15, at the Conway Ola & John Hawks Senior Wellness & Activity Center, 705 E. Siebermorgan Road (Senior Center 327-2895). We meet for lunch at 11:30 (If you eat with us, please purchase a ticket at the front door). You must be 50 years or older to attend. Our meetings begin at 12:10 and we dismiss at 1:00. Our program for this month will be from the Conway Hurley Chiropractic & Wellness Clinic.
We welcome you to join our Conway AARP Chapter for $5 each year. Any questions please contact either Ruby Johnson 327-0498 or Ron Ross 327-6803.