December 10

(2007)

George Covington purchased the 15,500 square-foot Plunkett-Jarrell Grocer building on Front Street, across from the Log Cabin Democrat where the Kordsmeier Warehouse and Clearance Center was located. Covington planned to develop the building for retail or restaurant tenants

What was left of a Silas Owen house just off Highway 65, owned by James and Jewell Salter, was scheduled for demolition. Ray McEntire, the new owner, said he would have liked to restore it for use as an office but it was not economically feasible. He planned to repurpose the reddish-brown paneling from inside and the rocks from the outside.

(1992)

The eight children of Bernard and Frances Nabholz attended the ceremonies for the Arkansas Farm Family of the Year. Their parents were one of eight families honored at ceremonies in Ferndale. The Nabholzes operated a 575-acre cattle farm on Bass Road north of Vilonia.

Dr. Howard Curtis Reed, a Hendrix College Board of Trustee member, was the first black member to be accepted into the Country Club of Little Rock. Reed owned The Curt Reed Co. in Little Rock and was on the president’s advisory council at Winrock International and a director of First Commercial Bank.

(1967)

James A. Jones was named insurance sales manager for the northcentral district of the Arkansas Farm Bureau Federation. He would coordinate sales and assist farm bureaus in 16 counties including Faulkner.

The Conway Faculty Club held its annual Christmas party in the Junior High School cafeteria. Each member brought a toy for the children at the Children’s Colony. Master of ceremonies was Jim Stone, Ellen Smith principal. The Conway High School Band, under the direction of Russell Langston, presented musical selections. Carols were sung under the direction of Joe Gunn and accompanied by Mrs. Ben Vann at the piano.

(1942)

Citizens of Conway, who completely furnished a day-room at Camp Robinson, were asked to furnish another room. Mr. T.T. Doolin, chairman of the Red Cross committee in charge of this work, said she was informed that the room already has a ping-pong table, a radio-Victrola and a small amount of furniture but needs a piano, curtains and odds and ends of furniture.

Two reels of motion pictures of the Rotary International Convention in Mexico City a few years ago were shown at the luncheon in the Hotel Bachelor. Dr. James H. Flanagin had represented the local club at this convention.

(1917)

Under the auspices of the board of missions of the Arkansas Baptist Convention, a Bible School would be held in Conway. Rev. T.H. Plemmons would be the dean of the school, and the subjects and teachers would be as follows: Bible, Rev. L.M. Sipes; sermon making, Rev. T.H. Plemmons; stewardship, Rev. C.F.J. Tate; country church, Prof. A.J. Meadors; and normal manual, Prof. D.S. Campbell.

No fireworks would be permitted to be sold or exploded in the city during the holidays, Mayor J.C. Dawson announced. The powder should be saved to win the war and the money given instead to the Red Cross.