By the pound

Police were called May 15, which was a Monday, just before 7 p.m. A man, dispatch told the officers, was walking down Donaghey carrying a gallon jug filled with something purple. He was stumbling, and several people had called about this, dispatch told them. As the reporting officer was enroute he was, he reported, "flagged down by several passersby" about the stumbling man with the jug.

The officer caught up with the man, still on Donaghey not far from the high school. By now he was sitting by the side of the road, the gallon jug of purple beside him. The officer noted right away the "smell of alcohol intoxicants" from the man. In conversation, he noted further the man’s speech was quite slurred and his eyes were bloodshot. The man, 51, was, the officer reported, hard to understand.

The officer had the man stand up and the man had trouble doing so, almost falling were it not for the officer’s assistance. Further the officer noted various scratches on the man, as though he had fallen recently, and possibly more than once, but the man would not tell the officer where these minor wounds had come from.

He was cuffed and stuffed, taken downtown for public intoxication and held pending bond or court appearance. (Note: No police report has ever used the term "cuffed and stuffed" of which I am aware.)

The family thing

Police were called to an Adult Care Facility Tuesday, May 16 a little bit after 6 p.m. The reporting officer arrived and was met by staff, who told him, he reported, a woman who was staying there had a daughter who was causing a problem.

In conversation with a nurse, the officer was told the daughter had been trying to give her mother medicine, despite the medicine not being prescribed to her. This was, she told the officer, in violation of facility rules. Then her daughter took it upon herself to change a bandage on her mother’s leg, this being also against facility rules.

The officer spoke with the daughter, who told him she felt her mother was not getting the level or quality of care she deserved. The nurse, she told the officer, also didn’t like her, because they had argued the day before. At this point the woman had been asked to leave by the nurse by the woman refused. The officer, now with the assistance of a second officer, escorted the woman off the property.

Staff told the woman, before she left, that if she was troubled by the level of care her mother was receiving, she would be able to remove her from the facility at a later date.


A woman came to police Tuesday afternoon, May 16 at 3 p.m. to report a domestic disturbance. She met with an officer.

She told the officer her stepfather had, about eight years ago, when she was 17, tried to videotape her while she was in the shower with a hidden camera in their home at the time. She knew this, she explained, because she caught him setting up the camera.

As best she could recall he was not able to set up the camera in order to execute his plot, she told the officer, the report stated.

She was given a report number.

Happy Monday

It was Monday morning, 8:15 a.m. that May 15, when a police officer on patrol spotted a car at an intersection "with a defective driver’s side front headlamp," the report stated. The officer followed for a short while, then went blue lights, pulling the car, a domestic four-door coupe, over.

As the officer — in the tradition of such matters — was speaking with the driver he noted the smell of marijuana. Further he spotted "something," as he put it in the report, in the driver’s mouth. The officer asked, and the man told him it was gum, while trying to move it out of the officer’s site at the same time. (One can only imagine the linguistic path of such a conversation, as something named "gum" is being moved further back into the mouth as it is being described.)

The officer told the man to spit it out, whatever it was, and the man, 33, did so, spitting out "what appeared to be marijuana, based on my training and experience," the officer reported. He then (hopefully while wearing gloves) "collected the marijuana for evidence."

The officer, under the terms of probable cause, searched the car, but found nothing else illegal in there. He told the man he wasn’t going to arrest him, but would be able to write a warrant for possession within a year if he chose to do so. A second man took control of the car as the driver did not have a license with him. He was ticketed for driving without a license and defective equipment.