From Conway Police Department reports

Things gone wrong

The call came in: An officer was called to a home on Conway’s south. A man there had, per dispatch, "beat up" his roommate then stole said roommate’s pickup, a 2005 Dodge. The man who had done this was drunk ("intoxicated") the reporting officer was told. Two officers were already at the home, so the officer decided to check the area for the drunk man and/or truck. It was Tuesday night, Sept. 26, minutes after 8 p.m.

And there, at a nearby Kum & Go, was the truck, leaving the gas pumps. The officer got behind it and the man in the truck became, the officer noted, very fearful and nervous, shifting around and watching the rear view from his position in the driver’s seat. Before they even got out of the parking lot the blue lights were on. The pickup stopped.

The officer spoke with the driver and had him step out of the truck, asking him what had happened at the address. And there, by the gas pumps, blue lights flashing, a nervous man by a potentially stolen truck, was, the officer reported, the odor, that odor, an odor oft told in narratives such as these: The odor of intoxicants.

Thus was initiated the field sobriety test, which the man agreed to take, despite his having, as he told the officer, "a bad hip."

Nystagmus? The eyes-finger thing? Yeah, no. Eyes flickered. The heel toe walk reflected this, with its ill-balanced stumbling and problem with counting to nine. But the one leg stand? That wasn’t happening at all. In fact the nervous pickup driver, 41, finally gave up on giving a good test on that one.

Handcuffs it was then. At the station he blew a 0.18 BAC and was jailed, charged with DUI first offense.

The pickup going into impound had the problem of the man’s dog in the truck. This was turned over to animal welfare, and the truck was turned over to its owner. In the vehicle inventory several unopened beers were found. These were poured out.

Window man

Police were called to a home Wednesday, Sept. 27, at 7:31 a.m. about a theft. When the reporting officer arrived he spoke with the homeowner.

The homeowner said the house was his, but he rented it. A former tenant, a recently former tenant, had broken into the home, using a window on the side of the house as a means of entrance. The tenant had been evicted five days earlier, the officer was told.

It turned out, the homeowner told the officer, the eviction was not a legal notice, but a three-day notice to evict, served by her son.

The officer went inside a checked around, being struck by the clothing and other personal items "strewn about." It was possible, the officer speculated in the report, that the man had come back to the home to take some of his property left behind due to the eviction. There were, however, cabinet doors torn off, as well as spilled trash cans.

This would be, the officer explained to the homeowner, a civil issue since the eviction was not a legal service. The officer gave the woman the report number, and arranged for extra patrols of the area for the next few weeks. He tried to call the former tenant, but there was no answer.


Tuesday, Sept. 26, just before lunch at 11:30 a.m. when a woman came to police to report a scam. She met with an officer.

A secret shopper company, she told the officer, had Emailed her. Shortly after being contacted, she got a check in the mail for $3,850, as well as contact information for the man who would give her instructions for processing the check.

The man, reached by phone, told her to deposit the check in her personal account, then buy a $150 Walmart gift card, and then deposit $3,300 into a Bank of America account. The remainder of the money, he said, would be used for various transactions with Walmart.

She was, in the course of all this, contacted by her bank and told the check she’d received was not good, she told the officer.

She was given a report number and told to contact police if she had any further information, the report concluded.

Wallets for the people

The police received a package Sept. 27, a Wednesday. In the package, sent from an address in Texas, was a wallet and ID for a man (name given in the report), as well as various membership cards, all for the same man.

The officer filing the report tried to contact the man whose name was on the ID, but was unable to do so.