It’s Halloween and Faulkner County does not fall short of spooky fun and tales.
Conway, aka "The City of Colleges," has a few ghost stories itself, including ghostly presences being reported at the University of Central Arkansas and Hendrix College.
Over the years, students have reported strange occurrences out of Hughes Hall Room 219 — appliances turn on and off by themselves, objects fly through the air and strange feelings come over those who enter the room.
The "Galloway Virgin" haunts Galloway Hall at Hendrix. Students have reported she’s been walking around in the attic for generations.
Aside from its spooky folklore, several Halloween events will be offered over the weekend.
The Downtown Conway Farmer’s and Crafts Market’s season ends today and invites families to dress up and celebrate Halloween.
"Our last day of the season just happens to fall on a fun holiday so we wanted to do something special for the kids," Ashley Ferguson, Downtown Conway Farmer’s and Crafts Market board member, said.
While the market opens at 6:30 a.m., Halloween activities will begin at 9 a.m. and continue until the market closes at 12:30 p.m. The event is free.
Games include an eye ball bucket toss, pumpkin and gourd bowling and poke-a-pumpkin.
Downtown Conway also welcomes "ghouls and goblins" to trick-or-teat downtown merchants from 1 to 3 p.m.
Shoe Choo Train, Dimples & Diamonds Photography and the Green Cart Deli are teaming up for a Halloween Extravaganza from 10 a.m. to noon at Sho Choo Train in the Conway Towne Center.
Free children’s portraits, trick-or-treating and a spooky lunch will be offered as well as discounts and prizes for parents.
"From enjoying trick-or-treating and preparing for upcoming holiday shopping, this event is a fun way for families to enjoy Halloween together," Shoe Choo Train owner Linda Skyrme.
Recommended for mature audiences, The Lantern Theatre will perform Richard O’Brien’s "The Rocky Horror Show" at 8 and 11 p.m. Reservations are not required, but can be made via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Doors open 30 minutes before curtain.
Other Faulkner County Halloween events include:
• Creepy Works Haunted House — 7 p.m. to midnight tonight and tomorrow, located at 150 Hwy 286 East, Conway. Admission is $10.
• Zombie Hunt (Paintball Arkansas) — 7 p.m. to midnight tonight and tomorrow and Nov. 6-8, located at 558 Sturgis Rd., Conway. Admission is $25.
• Schaefers and Collins Pumpkin Patch — 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., located at 864 Lollie Rd., Mayflower.
• Corn Maze at Lollie — noon to 8 p.m., located at 863 Lollie Rd., Mayflower.
• Baker Street Project Halloween Party — 8:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. at Kings, located at 1020 Front Street, Conway. Admission is $5.
• Arkansas Frontier — 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., located at 1625 Wesley Chapel Rd., Quitman. Will include a pumpkin patch, one-room schoolhouse, duck races, hayrides and more. For more information, call 501-589-3122.
(Staff writer Marisa Hicks can be reached by email at email@example.com or by phone at 505-1277. To comment on this and other stories in the Log Cabin, log on to www.thecabin.net. Send us your news at www.thecabin.net/submit.)