A Conway man previously convicted of attempted capital murder pleaded not guilty Monday to child porn charges the attorney general's office filed against him earlier this month.

The Arkansas Attorney General's Office launched an investigation against Steven Wayne Bramlett, 56, after a special agent was alerted of "child exploitation material" being shared on computer files in the area, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Agents tracked the activity to an IP address in Conway and "successfully obtained a completed video download of a file containing child sexual exploitation material," the affidavit states.

Bramlett, who appeared in shackles before Circuit Judge Charles "Ed" Clawson Jr., pleaded not guilty to 30 counts of distributing, possessing or viewing matter depicting child porn.

Otto Fry was appointed to represent Bramlett as Attorney Karen Walker-Knight stood in for arraignment purposes.

"He understands the charges ... but, he has an issue with the level of the offense," Walker-Knight said after briefly speaking with Bramlett.

Clawson told Bramlett to get in touch with his attorney and the matter would be addressed during a March 8 pretrial.

The investigation against Bramlett began Nov. 22, 2017, when special agents with the attorney general's office tracked a video from Bramlett's IP address of an adult male performing sexual acts on a 4-year-old female, among several other videos depicting child porn.

Agents tracked the computer in question to Lot 71 at the Oakwood Village trailer park at 475 East Robins St.

Authorities conducted a search warrant at the residence Friday. According to the affidavit, Bramlett was getting out of his vehicle when agents arrived to search the home.

"Agents approached Bramlett as he was exiting his vehicle in the driveway of his home," the affidavit reads. "Bramlett spontaneously uttered, '[I]s this about the pornography? Because I'm guilty.'"

Bramlett told authorities he began watching child porn six months ago and that he watches it each night before going to bed.

While searching Bramlett's trailer, authorities took several items in as evidence, including two child-sized torso pieces and a poster of an exposed 10-year-old girl.

According to the affidavit, Bramlett told authorities during questioning that he uses the torso pieces as "sex-aide[s]."

Bramlett spent 37 years behind bars for an attempted capital murder conviction. He was released from prison in 2016 after the Arkansas Supreme Court overturned his life-without-parole prison sentence, sending the case back to Jefferson County Circuit Court.

He is currently being held in the Faulkner County Detention Center in lieu of a $1 million bond and is ordered not to leave the state should he post bond.

Court records state Bramlett entered a negotiated plea deal after being charged with rape, kidnapping, robbery and attempted capital murder when he was 17 years old.

During his plea and in a subsequent appeal filed in April 2012 to have his sentence converted to a term of years, he admitted to robbing a convenience store at gunpoint and kidnapping a female clerk. Bramlett admitted to putting the woman in the trunk of his car, driving to a rural area and raping her.

"After he raped her, he pushed her out of the car, made her walk to a bushy area, and shot her three to four times with a .22 pistol," according to his appeal brief to the supreme court. "He explained that he did not think a .22 pistol was powerful enough to kill someone 'unless you put it right to their head,' and he admitted that he first tried to shoot her in the head."

In his 2012 brief, Bramlett argued that state laws allow parole eligibility for juveniles who have served 15 years of a non-life sentence. The law was changed in the 2013 legislative session, but was not applied retroactively.

The Arkansas Supreme Court agreed with Bramlett's argument that the U.S. Supreme Court has prohibited life without parole sentences in juvenile cases for those who are convicted on a non-homicidal charge. Because the victim in his 1979 case did not die, his case was not considered homicidal.

Bramlett was re-sentenced and released from prison in 2016.

He is scheduled to appear at 9 a.m. in Faulkner County Circuit Court on March 8 regarding the child porn allegations against him.