10 Years Ago
(2008) Conway Regional Health System announced the largest expansion project in its history. The hospital would begin construction of a $25 million, 58,000 square-foot addition which would include a two-story structure adjoining the north side of the existing hospital and the west side of the Conway Regional Women’s Center. The second floor would have seven fully-functioning operating rooms. The existing operating rooms would be converted to other uses.
Todd Christ and Josh Hilliker, Intel experts, were pictured demonstrating how to “break” and then “fix” computers to students in Michael Kennedy’s computer engineering class at Conway High School West.
25 Years Ago
(1993) Conway Police were conducting “Operation Safe Streets,” issuing citations for criminal activity surrounding cruising on Front Street. Citations issued were less than half compared to the previous weekend when 143 citations were issued.
Cody Mears, an eighth grader, and Stephanie McNespey, a ninth grader, were named the February Athletes of the Month by the Conway Morning and Twilight Optimist clubs. Both were students at Vilonia Junior High School.
Alan Bruner, director of Christian education at First United Methodist Church, presented a program on “Guitar, Stories and Song” at the monthly meeting of Chapter 796 of AARP at Bowen’s Ramada Restaurant.
50 Years Ago
(1968) Louis E. Stell was named an assistant vice president of First State Bank & Trust. He was serving as operations officer for First State’s new tellers window at Greenbrier.
John W. McCracken and Al Hiegel were elected to the Board of Directors of First State Bank & Trust. Other board members were Edward A. Halter, William D. Ketcheside, J.K. O’Kelley, J.R. Ott, Frank Robins III, Earl F. Rogers and Thomas G. Wilson.
The James O. Moore home southeast of Springhill was destroyed by fire. The home site adjoined property which had recently been acquired by Dean Milk for a model dairy farm.
75 Years Ago
(1943) County Judge J.L. Summers approved the appointment of Hugh Stermer as deputy surveyor of Faulkner County. Mr. Stermer’s father, B.F. Stermer was surveyor.
Brig. General Ralph B. Lovett, chief of the training division of the adjutant general’s office in Washington, spoke at ASTC in the formal opening exercises of the first class of the women’s auxiliary army corps, branch number three.
The Chamber of Commerce discussed the need for a canning kitchen during the 1943 fruit and vegetable seasons.
The ready-to-wear retailers met with Kenneth Ketcheside of the Little Rock office of price administration.
100 Years Ago
(1918) Five new Maxwell cars were received by W.M. Harrell and Co. The cars were driven overland from Little Rock.
Professor D.L. Paisley, former superintendent of the Conway Public Schools, voluntarily retired as superintendent of the North Little Rock schools, a position he had held for seven years. His plans for the future were not made public.