10 Years Ago
(2008) Geneva Day, local longtime pianist, was featured in a front-page article. She taught private piano lessons in her home and taught music to elementary children at Vilonia Primary School.
Abby Baker and Kevin McCully were the grand prize winners of new bicycles at the Sallie Cone Elementary Easter egg hunt sponsored by Conway First Church of the Nazarene.
Shelby Ratliff, Brenda Martinez, Nicole Thomason, Marquez Massey, Derrick Vanderwall and Donald DeGarmo were pictured beside their first-place winning door decoration at Beverly Sutterfield’s room at CHSE. The contest was part of Black History Month.
25 Years Ago
(1993) Five Conway School District students were selected as National Merit Scholarship finalists: Amy R. Hobby, Laticia L. Hutchins, Scott Polk, Heather A. Watson and Angela Webber.
Jake Reynolds, 16, was pictured holding an eight-pound largemouth bass he caught at Beaverfork Lake.
The Federal Reserve Board approved the merger of Union National Bank of Arkansas with Worthen National Bank of Arkansas.
Roden Berry and Alderman Mark Ferrell were pictured discussing plans for the Don Owen Memorial Park expansion which would include a five-field softball complex.
50 Years Ago
(1968) A neighborhood playground was being constructed by the Conway Junior Auxiliary at Martin and Elizabeth streets. Land for the project was donated by Dr. Ethel Wilson and Mr. and Mrs. Dave Ward. Mrs. Bill Bell said the parks and recreation department would operate the playground. Nabholz Construction installed the equipment, which included swings, slide and climbing bars, while Conway Concrete donated the concrete used to embed the pieces into the ground. Parks and recreation also planned to build a ten-acre city park east of Conway. It would be built in three stages with federal matching funds.
75 Years Ago
(1943) After spending three weeks in the Baptist state hospital at Little Rock where for several days he was so desperately ill his physicians gave up hope for his recovery, Postmaster Herbert D. Russell was brought back to his home just west of Conway.
The committee named by President L. Sid Adams of the Chamber of Commerce to select nominees for directors of the organization announced the nominees: Sam Fausett, W.W. Hoover, Leo Crafton, R.P. Hayes, P.P. Heigel, H.O. Weatherly, W.E. Wimberly and William J. Clark. Four directors would be chosen from the list.
100 Years Ago
(1918) Three firms occupying the old Halter Building on the corner of Oak and Front streets were moving their stocks and fixtures to new stands until the new building, to be erected by F.U. Halter, was completed. Greeson Drug Co. and V.G. Craig were moving into the Martin and Scroggin Building adjoining the Faulkner County Bank, while the Racket Store was moving into the Donaghey Building on the west side of the railroad, next door to the millinery store of Mrs. Nettie F. Hoss. Work on the new building was started at once.