10 Years Ago
(2008) State Rep. Sandra Prater presented a $10,029 check to Jerry Lancaster, president of the Faulkner County Council on Aging; Elois McCaghren, volunteer director of the Mayflower Senior Center; and employees, Faye McCoy and Patricia Barnes. Prater cosponsored a bill that appropriated state funding to all Arkansas senior centers.
The Humane Society of Faulkner County hosted a grand opening at its new spay/neuter clinic at 589 N. Hwy. 65, south of Greenbrier.
Nineteen CHS students were selected to attend Governor’s School, a six-week intensive program at Hendrix College that was in its 28th year.
25 Years Ago
(1993) The Hendrix College radio station KHDX was scheduled to go back on the air after it was closed on February 27 when someone entered and set an obscene tape to play repeatedly.
Samuel L. Miller received a bachelor’s degree in business administration and management from Boston University at the winter commencement.
Conway’s Lee Stuart became the first UCA signee when he signed a letter of intent to play basketball for the Bears next year. His grandfather, former superintendent of Conway School District, was on hand for the signing. Lee’s brother Eric was one of the top golfers for the Bears.
50 Years Ago
(1968) The Farris Agency, 1118 Oak, would occupy new quarters at 817 Parkway. William J. Farris purchased the Parkway building from the Halter estate.
Judy Terry, 16, of Conway was named Miss Majorette of Arkansas runner-up at Forrest City. She won two trophies in state competition and eight trophies in national competition.
Greenbrier FFA members won ten trophies in district competition: Jim Moreland, Lindell Atkinson, John Day, Fred Dunk, Gary King, Les Ablondi, Jerel Jones, Eddie Kelso, Eddie Glover, Bob Lowry, Ricky Jones, Benny Breeding, Jim Stevens, Paul Wilcox, Tom McCollum, David Nixon, Hal Jolly, Richard Melton, David Cardin and Butch Robinson.
75 Years Ago
(1943) Thomas A. Martin, formerly of Russellville, succeeded Ernest E. Halter as manager of the wholesale branch of the Sinclair Refining Company at Conway. Halter resigned to give his attention to the management of his father’s estate.
Robert A. McNutt of the McNutt Funeral Home purchased an eight-cylinder Oldsmobile combination ambulance. This was the second ambulance to be put into service by the funeral home and permitted the holding of two funerals at one time.
Despite criticism elsewhere, in Faulkner County, the farm security administration had put impoverished farm families on their feet economically and brought them into a state of independence.
100 Years Ago
(1918) At the annual church meeting, B.W. Torreyson and E.E. Condray were elected to the office of deacon in the First Presbyterian Church. In a report, the pastor, Rev. J.W. Boyer, announced the membership had been increased 132 percent and a new modern manse had been built. The local church spent for all causes a total of $4,530. It was the best report in the history of the church.