April 27

10 Years Ago

(2008) Caldwell Toyota-Scion was using “green” technology in the construction of its new building at 13555 Exchange Avenue. Pipes in the ceiling would carry rainwater collected from the roof to supply the dealership’s water needs.

Conway City planners met with the public to discuss development plans along the Old Morrilton Highway corridor. The long-range vision was to use the corridor as a scenic parkway with a focus on recreation, environmental preservation, as well as the preservation of residential areas, “creative commercial,” and “light industrial.”

Doe’s Eat Place, located on Main Street next to Old Chicago, applied for its liquor license.

25 Years Ago

(1993) Roger Hazel of the Conway Human Development Center Volunteer Council was pictured bowling as part of CHDC’s first benefit bowl at Conway Bowl. Phil Parish, volunteer-services coordinator for CHDC was also shown watching Hazel bowl. Money raised was used to purchase needed equipment.

Woody Cummins, serving his first year as full-fledged Toadmaster, was pictured standing in front of a roadside sign on interstate 40 south of Mayflower calling on everyone to join in the Toad Suck Daze festivities. Cummins replaced Jim Stone, who had served nine years as Toadmaster, and will lead the Mardi Daze Parade.

50 years Ago

(1968) New officers of the Lions Club were pictured: Tommy Smith, president; Dr. Dale Langford, first vice-president; Howard Ridgely, second vice-president; Dr. Jerry Park, third vice-president; Russell A. Stewart, secretary; Tony Paladino and Jim Moore, tail twisters; Dr. Berman Maxey and Paul Hiegel, board members; and Roger Mills, Jr., new lion tamer.

The Junior Auxiliary Thrift Shop moved from 1072 Markham to Chestnut and Van Ronkle Streets.

Fourteen new black and white televisions were purchased for each classroom at Sallie Cone Elementary. Kim Starkey, Debra McClure, Johnny Camp, Sandy Lowry, and Mona Woods were pictured watching the one in Mrs. William West’s room.

75 Years Ago

(1943) B.A. Short was re-elected for a three-year term as superintendent of Conway Schools. He had been superintendent for past ten years, serving as the high school principal from 1928 until 1933. He became a teacher for the district in 1914, teaching four years before attending Hendrix College. He then taught in the district again for two years in Conway schools before becoming principal.

Conway held “Straw Hat Day,” when old felts were placed in storage and exchanged for bright spring new straws. Half a dozen Conway men’s stores were advertising new hats for sale in the newspaper.

100 Years Ago

(1918) Members of the Clary Literary Society of Arkansas State Normal enjoyed a picnic at the mouth of the Cadron.

Frauenthal and Schwarz advertised “drop seat union suits for boys and girls, any size for 75 cents.”