Have you been somewhere that immediately captured your heart? Now etched in your memory? Artist Wendy Leonard will showcase her memories and love of gardens in new works she is introducing this Friday at Art on the Green.
Wendy's show "UNLATCH THE GARDEN GATE" will include paintings from gardens she's enjoyed, including Butchart Gardens near Victoria, British Columbia and Villa Gamberaia in Italy.
A bit about Butchart Gardens: it was Jenny Butchart, a chemist who began building the Gardens near her family's Cement Quarry and home, now on the Canadian Historical Register. 'National Geographic' named Butchart Gardens in the top ten of magnificent gardens in their 'Four Seasons' Travel book. Jenny's first garden included sweet peas and rose bushes. For more information and to read the accolades visit their website www.butchartgardens.com.
We are transported to the hills of Italy through gates near the edge of Florence. Wendy's work shows us the breathtaking views she captured. In fact, the gardens of Villa Gamberaia Firenze are so well recognized they host their own Garden Design School. Check out Garden Design classes & more here: www.VillaGamberais.com.
THIS FRIDAY Art on the Green will introduce thirteen new paintings from Wendy's travels to gardens across the world. "Dilly Dahlias" is a series of pieces that are big, bright and full of life-giving-life to journeys through gardens far and wide.
We hope you can join us to hear Wendy Leonard tell of her first visit to Villa Gamberaia! You will see this artist venturer made the complicated trek unscathed using public transport without a semblance of google maps anywhere near.
For Wendy's Arkansas collectors familiar with her work, it's a feast for your eyes. Knowing she wanted to capture these gardens in a very personal, unique way Wendy called on a technique taught to her by the late Gail Morris, Arkansan and dear friend of Wendy's.
An Art on the Green artist, Gail was a missionary in Ukraine and studied under prominent artist Yuri Khymych. Yuri taught Gail to mono-print. Mono-print was passed down friend-to-friend-to-friend and includes collage elements with watercolor painting.
Wendy will be demonstrating the Mono-print technique during her show Friday, along with more in-depth stories behind her new art.
Art on the Green welcomes the public, and all children interested in art. Art on the Green is a family-friendly gallery. Light refreshments will be served.
Will you Unlatch the Garden Gate? Join us Friday, May, 4th, 4-6 PM.
Visit ArtontheGreen.net or call 501.205.1922 for reservations.
And as always, be on the lookout for upcoming art events of interest:
- Art in its Natural State is on display now at Petit Jean State Park and Winthrop Rockefeller Institute. Take a peek: www.rockefellerinstitute.org.
- Mayor Bart Castleberry is headlining Art on the Green's Fourth CityTalks May 24, 5:30-7 PM. Darren Irby is moderator.
- Arkansas Arts Center’s 60TH Annual Delta Exhibition is May 25, 2018 — August 26, 2018. A terrific spot to see, excellent, regional talent on display.
- Find City Talks 2018 on our YouTube channel and be inspired by our social media for the Gallery's 30+ artists in the Gallery and on-line.
- Have you registered for Artist-in-Resident Bonnie McKay's color class yet? We have two spots left. Let Bonnie inspire you with her talent, her love of all things art.
- You will also find us on Facebook @ConwayArt and Instagram @artonthegreen.