May 5

10 Years Ago

(2008) Toad Suck Superstar finalists were pictured: Brittany Conine, Gwendolyn Bradley, Laura Saeler and Daniel Sims. Laura Saeler was chosen the 2008 Superstar.

The Devs, made up of Lane Bradshaw, Alex Engeler, Colt Fason and Elliot Collins, won the championship in the male 15-16 division of the Toad Jam 3-on-3.

Jackson Goodwin, 8, of Conway won the Toad Racing World Championship in the Toad Dome at Toad Suck Daze.

ACTS (Acting Creates Therapeutic Success), Jr. presented the play, “Welcome to Happy World,” at Burgess Auditorium at Central Baptist College. Participants were pictured practicing at New Life Church.

25 Years Ago

(1993) Johnny Tyler, 44, assistant principal of Conway High School, was named principal of the school. The Conway School District Board of Education also named Sam Nelson as principal of Florence Mattison Elementary while Cecil Boothe would become principal of the new elementary school being constructed in western Conway.

Five new traffic signals were installed at the following intersections in Conway: Robins and Davis; Donaghey and Lee; Donaghey and Meadowlake Road; Washington Avenue at Tyler and Winfield; and Donaghey and Tyler. They were seen as indicative of the growth that was occurring in the city.

50 Years Ago

(1968) Dr. Carl E. Forsberg, director of the Conway Junior-Senior High School Orchestra, was pictured leading a practice session for the Hymn Festival. Kay Speed, flute; Ann Fronabarger, cello; and Richard Robinson, violin were pictured with him.

More than 2,000 people attended the Central Arkansas Poultry Festival at Estes Field. Hundreds were on hand for the chicken supper preceding the pageant program. Nancy Selig was one of the contestants chosen to compete at the state contest in Hot Springs in the summer. A dozen women competed in the district poultry cooking contest while 24 entries from six counties were in the barbeque contest.

75 Years Ago

(1943) Major Wilson was named valedictorian and Dorcas Simmons was salutatorian for the Vilonia Class of 1943. Fourteen seniors were graduating.

Dr. C.H. Dickerson, who operated the Doctor’s Clinic, a private hospital at 825 Center Street, said he was enlarging the institution from 10 beds to 25 beds by adding on to the rear of the building.

The manufacturers of Fletcher’s Castoria warned all holders of any bottles produced since March 1, 1943 to discontinue use because it contained a foreign ingredient that caused nausea. A Log Cabin reader subsequently reported severe stomach pains and fainting after use.

100 Years Ago

(1918) The ball teams of the city scheduled a spectacular game of old-fashioned baseball on Russell Field. The team “with the suits” defeated the less showily clad team, 13-6. The gate receipts amounted to about $25, of which a part was given to the Red Cross.