The Conway Police Department is working to identify the suspect who shot and killed a 48-year-old man at the Days Inn hotel Tuesday morning on Oak Street.
CPD spokesman LaTresha Woodruff said authorities were notified around 6 a.m. of the shooting that left a Hispanic man dead Tuesday.
"We got a call to our dispatch center around 6 o'clock about shots fired here at the Days Inn on Oak Street," Woodruff told the Log Cabin on scene. "When officers got here, they found a Hispanic man inside of room 106 who had been shot, and he was dead at that time."
Detectives were on scene collecting evidence and gathering statements Tuesday morning, following up on all leads to pinpoint a suspect in the case.
A path of evidence markers trailed from room 106 into the middle of the parking lot near the hotel's main entrance along Oak Grove Drive as detectives worked the scene.
"Obviously, we're trying to figure out what happened, so detectives came to the scene and they are talking to witnesses in the area, meaning people who are living here who may have heard the shots or even saw anything," Woodruff said. "At this point, the investigation continues; we're trying to figure out exactly what happened."
Authorities are working with hotel staff as well as other businesses surrounding the Days Inn to see if surveillance footage was captured of the suspect as he fled the scene.
"[We're checking to see if [the incident] was caught on video," Woodruff said. "[We're also checking] with surrounding businesses and looking for any cars leaving [the area] at a high rate of speed."
Woodruff said authorities do not believe this was a random act, noting the victim and perpetrator likely knew each other "to some degree."
"At this point, we don't believe that this was random," she said. "Obviously, without going into details [and] looking at the evidence, it does not look like this was random. It looks like this person was specifically targeted."
As of press time Tuesday, authorities had not released the victim's identity, pending next of kin's notification.
The 48-year-old man's body was sent to the Arkansas State Crime Lab on Tuesday for further investigation.
Faulkner County Coroner Jessica Thorn said she requested the state medical examiner perform an autopsy, noting the victim "suffered several gunshot wounds."
Anyone with information regarding the killing is asked to call Conway police at 501-450-6120. Tips can also be submitted anonymously by texting CRIMES (274-637) using the keyword "Conway" in the text.
This slaying marks Conway's third homicide investigation this year. Charges had not yet been filed in either of the previous reported incidents as of Tuesday.
In February, 18-year-old Demarco Taylor was shot to death at a residence on Bernard Drive. The shooter in Taylor's death claims he shot Taylor in self defense, Woodruff said, noting the case is still under review.
On April 29, 31-year-old Jeremy Smith was found stabbed to death on South Ash Street. His girlfriend, 31-year-old Octavia Johnson, is currently behind bars on suspicion of second-degree murder. Formal charges have not yet been filed against her.
Twentieth Judicial District Prosecuting Attorney Luke Ferguson confirmed Tuesday that his office has received a case file regarding the allegations against Johnson and is reviewing it to determine the appropriate charges.