May 13

10 Years Ago

(2008) Conway School District’s newest elementary school was named after Woodrow Cummins, longtime teacher and administrator in the district. Cummins served the district a total of 17 years, first as a kindergarten teacher at Pine Street Elementary, then a special education teacher, an elementary principal, a middle school principal, a junior high principal and eventually assistant superintendent.

Ivan Grove was the posthumous honoree at the Arkansas Sports Club meeting at Ryan’s. Grove came to Hendrix as athletic director in 1924 and was the face of Hendrix athletics for many years. Grove Gymnasium was named after him in 1961.

25 Years Ago

(1993) Three new department heads were chosen for the reorganized College of Business Administration at UCA: P. Michael Moore, accounting; William T. Bounds, Jr., marketing and management; and Patricia Cantrell, economics and finance.

Bob Broach, superintendent of Atkins School District and a Faulkner County native, announced his retirement after 38 years in education.

Wendy’s planned to open a second location at Conway in the summer. It would be located at Highway 65B and Highway 64 where Harvey’s Antique Mall was located. Harvey’s would be moving to a location on Highway 65 in Greenbrier.

50 Years Ago

(1968) Tools and building materials were stolen and the large walk-in vault’s door was damaged at the Conway High School under construction. Entry to the vault was made through the top of the vault which had not been set yet. The guard usually on duty was not on duty over the weekend.

New officers of the Junior Progressive Club were Mrs. Guy Murphy, president; Mrs. Edgar Clark, first vice-president; Mrs. Calvin Shock, second vice-president; Mrs. Paul Witherspoon, corresponding secretary; Mrs. Gene Thompson, treasurer; Mrs. Bruce Thornton, reporter; and Mrs. Bert Stark, Jr., parliamentarian.

75 Years Ago

(1943) The new Martin levee at the foot of Petit Jean Mountain gave way in two places, pouring water over approximately 100 acres.

Landowners and tenants along the Arkansas River in Faulkner County were relieved to learn that the river had risen only an inch an hour during the night and that the 31-feet stage at Little Rock probably would not be reached.

Main Hall at Central College would be rebuilt and reconditioned after the April 20 fire. Negotiations with the insurance company were almost complete and the college had $35,000 raised for plant improvements.

100 Years Ago

(1918) Mrs. J.D. Farris, Mrs. Ida B. Merrill, Miss Lillian Farris and Jeff Farris motored to Camp Pike to visit Sgt. Howard Merrill and Ralph Farris.

A.F. Kuykendall of Conway received notice from the Navy that his son, Marcus Kuykendall, had been promoted and made a chief petty officer.