June 13

(2008)

 10 Years Ago

The City of Wooster named Jerry Boyer chairman of the Parks and Recreation Committee. He would work with Park Director Marie Wilson in promoting and improving Wooster City Park.

The Greenbrier School District’s Eastside Elementary third and fourth graders competed in a cup stacking tournament. Third graders Carissa Metcalf, Andrew Burroughs, Madison Boyd Madison Cardin, and Emma Boyd placed first through fifth respectively. Fourth graders Hannah Smith, Jeremiah Bullington, Lauren Summerville and Emily Moore came in first, second, third and fourth respectively.

Dr. Carl Redden was honored by Faith Church as the Christian Educator of the Quarter.

(1993)

25 Years Ago

Rick, Debbie and Dale Ketchum opened Ketchum’s Koffee House at 803 Harkrider.

Eight completed the four-year training program at Nabholz University: Jeffery Davis, John English, Toby Finch, Robert Holmes, Christopher Mathis, Deborah Milam, Derrick Percaro and Jesus Rodriguez. This was the 20th year of the program. Robert Nabholz, founder of Nabholz Construction, made the presentation of certificates and watches inscribed with the university’s logo.

Ray and Terri Johnson and Ray and Michelle Daugherty were pictured with their Paradise Ice business located in the Harvest Foods parking lot on Morningside Drive. They offered 55 flavors of Hawaiian Shave ice.

(1968)

50 Years Ago

Mrs. Dick Turner, Mrs. Jerry Bartley and Mrs. Bobby Beene were making plans for the Faulkner County Girl Scout Day Camp to be held at Kamp Kiwanis on Cove Creek. Ninety-six Conway girls were expected to attend. The older girls were allowed to camp out at night.

Miss Claudia Kuykendall would be supervising 1,020 young girls at Girl State, something she had been doing since its establishment by the American Legion Auxiliary in 1942.

Mr. and Mrs. Bill Bell of Rome, Italy were visitors in Conway. A former Log Cabin Democrat reporter, he was with the United Press International in Rome.

(1943)

75 Years Ago

A 1943 act of the legislature forbidding the sale of beer and wine on Sundays went into effect. Conway had passed a similar ordinance several months earlier so the new law would affect only about four retailers on the highways outside the city limits.

A singing and broadcast by the Stamps-Baxter Melody Boys and Conway country singers was held a Morrilton.

Homer F. Hess sold his residence at 1836 Bruce to J.B. Wilson, head of the English department at ASTC.

Mrs. Frank Robins, Jr. proudly exhibited a tomato weighing 14 ounces and measuring 13 ½ inches in circumference.

(1918)

100 Years Ago

The baseball team of Hendrix College delightfully entertained their friends with a moonlight picnic and hayride. The supper was spread on the banks of the Cadron on Terry’s Bridge. The party, composed of nine couples, was chaperoned by Coach William E. Watson and Miss Ruby Becker.

S.F. Dorrill, for a number of months a salesman in the hardware department of S.G. Smith, accepted a position as assistant bookkeeper in the Faulkner County Bank.