June 27

(2008)

10 Years Ago

Lisa Buck, Joyce Fiddler and Penny Hatfield from the Book Club Team, were pictured discussing the spelling of a word during the Faulkner County Literacy Council’s fourth annual “Bee for Literacy” Spelling Bee at First United Methodist Church.

Isaac Acuna, David Brazil and Walter Flanagin were pictured building a three-foot tall sculpture during St. Joseph’s Camp Invention.

Local government officials attended the Faith Baptist Church of Greenbrier’s 30th anniversary and patriotic celebration.

“Lights Over the Lake” would be held at Beaverfork Lake. The fireworks show would feature the Davanzo Family Bluegrass Band and the Conway Symphony Orchestra.

(1993)

25 Years Ago

Antioch Baptist Church’s Vacation Bible School was held at Central Baptist College because of the growth in enrollment that had taken place. More than 100 workers assisted with the program and pre-registration was required.

Pam Osment, a Conway attorney, and Essie Cleveland, a state employee, were named Paul Harris Fellows by the Conway Morning Rotary Club.

Candice Stark and Sommer Martinez were pictured on the tilt-a-whirl while Mitchell Reynolds, 5, was pictured filling his plate with Ed’s Country Catfish at the all-you-can-eat catfish dinner at Brierfest. Greenbrier was celebrating being 175 years old.

(1968)

50 Years Ago

The new women’s dorm at SCA was named for Dr. Maude Carmichael, retired chair of the Dept. of Economics, Sociology and Business Administration. The new men’s dorm was named for O.L. Hughes, former chair of the Dept. of Mathematics who stepped down in 1967 after 25 years. He was still serving as a professor of mathematics.

Four-thousand new bleacher seats were added to Estes Field on the east side of the field, giving the stadium a total seating capacity of 8,000.

Dr. and Mrs. Sam V. Daniel returned from San Francisco where they had attended the American Medical Association convention.

(1943)

75 Years Ago

William M. Harton, former Conway jewelry merchang and optometrist, was promoted from major to lieutenant colonel at Camp Phillips in Salina, KS.

Contracts were let for delivering mail on four star-routes operating out of the Conway post office. Two of the contracts went to Reverdie Gill, one to James M. Rowell of Plumerville and one to C.M. Stokes of Conway.

Revival services at Antioch Baptist Church would continue into a second week. Dr. J.E. Cobb of Texarkana was the speaker.

The public canning kitchen sponsored by the Conway Chamber of Commerce was expected to open at 916 Front Street.

(1918)

100 Years Ago

A remarkable fish story was told in a letter received by Mrs. E.F. Edwards of Conway from relatives at Pottsville. It seemed that her younger brother, John Potts, who was a student in Hendrix College the past term, while fishing one day, spied a large fish near him. First John was on top and then the fish. Finally, the letter stated, John managed to land his catch; the fish weighed 15 pounds.