July 8

(2008)

10 Years Ago

Agora staffer Aaron Beard was pictured calling out Bingo numbers at the Agora Conference Center. Profits from the game went toward the Kiwanis Club and the Women’s Shelter.

The Conway Advertising and Promotion Commission was looking for extras for commercials promoting Conway.

The Conway Drillers won the 12-and-under USSSA Class A World Series in Granbury, Texas. Team members were Nick Cross, Lincoln Hill, Gerrel Williamson, Julian Basseto, Lane Mahaney, Hunter Gould, Jalon Hughes, Conner Aist, Justin Leon, David Addison, Dylan Crossley and Titus Copeland. Coaches were Matthew Moix, Marty Aist, Jordan Moix and Terry Horn.

(1993)

25 years Ago

Little Rock Cardiology Clinic announced the association of L. Parker Norris, M.D. and the opening of a Conway office at 552 Locust Avenue for cardiac consultation.

Patrons of the Greenbrier Water System were asked to conserve their usage, while Wooster remained under a request to tap the city’s supply only for human consumption. Wooster had four pumps that had gone dry. Wooster was hauling water from Conway.

Conway High graduate John Freyaldenhoven was awarded a University Scholarship by UA while Beverly Shofner, Greenbrier High School valedictorian, had accepted the Chancellor’s Scholarship and the Fayetteville Merit Scholarship from UA.

(1968)

50 Years Ago

Scott and Phillip Bell attended Camp Mitchell on Petit Jean Mountain.

Mike Strain carried home three gold medals, for long jump, high jump and shot put, from the Arkansas AAU track and field championships at Hendrix College.

Joe H. Hunnicutt, representing the Conway Chamber of Commerce, presented trophy saddles to Linda Burnett of Searcy and Thomas Ivy of Benton, for all-round cowgirl and cowboy at the Arkansas State High School Championship Rodeo.

Approximately 500 Conway children were enrolled in recreational activities at Hendrix for the summer. The college’s athletic staff and Junior Auxiliary members were volunteer leaders.

(1943)

75 Years Ago

Miss Nan Westmoreland entertained with a delightful swimming party and breakfast at the Conway swimming pool for a group of out-of-town visitors who formerly lived in Conway.

The C.E. Gentry building at Main and Chestnut, originally constructed for a service station, was being converted into an office building and the Faulkner County agricultural adjustment administration offices would occupy a portion of the building. The AAA had been occupying offices on the second floor of the post office building for several years.

The Inter-City Transit Company inaugurated service along Caldwell and Prince Streets with the possibility of adding other residential areas.

(1918)

100 Years Ago

O.S. Russ, who had a stock ranch just south of Conway, said he was doing his “bit” to raise food for the boys “over there.” Mr. Russ had seven sows and four gilts to farrow a total of 109 pigs. The hogs, he said, were not registered stock but are good stock for market.

Conway automobiles and drivers transported the two platoons of a machine gun company led by Capt. F.A. Terry from Conway to Pearson. Among those who drove the cars were Harrell Gist, Fred Bailey, Cecil Martin, Atherton Anderson and A.F. Wright.