July 14

(2008)

10 Years Ago

Gridley’s Barbeque opened for business at Pickle’s Gap Village. It was the second location; the first was located in Memphis.

Construction of Fairfield Inn and Suites was taking shape on Sanders Road. Just around the corner, Microtel Inn and Suites was also looking ready to open.

Miss University of Central Arkansas, Sarah Slocum, would participate in the Miss Arkansas Pageant scheduled for July 19 in Hot Springs. Slocum, 22, was from Sheridan and graduated summa cum laude in May from UCA with a degree in political science. She planned to attend law school at the University of Arkansas.

(1993)

25 Years Ago

The Conway School District Board of education adopted a HIV/AIDS policy and established a School Health Advisory committee.

Conway City Council authorized the conditional use permit for a 3.5-acre health club and spa on the east side of Salem Road north of the west fire station. Ken Wright was the developer.

True Holiness Saints Center Church of God in Christ opened July 4 in its temporary location in the chapel facilities of Veasley Funeral Home, 1170 Markham. The Rev. E.C. Maltbia, 21, founded the church. He was also serving as vice-president of Veasley Funeral Home.

(1968)

50 Years Ago

Larry Tackett replaced Harton Spatz as director of sanitation as Saline County sanitarian.

“Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner,” an Academy Award motion picture starring Spencer Tracy and Sidney Poitier, was showing at the Conway Theatre.

Mrs. Carolyn Yarbrough was pictured displaying a medallion and plaque listing her as the winner of the 1967-68 Wall Street Journal Student Achievement Award at SCA. The award, for being the college’s top business student, was presented by Dr. Loren Guffey, associate professor of economics, and Dr. Conrad Carroll, chairman of the department of business administration, economics and sociology.

(1943)

75 Years Ago

The Conway Memorial Hospital, closed for nearly a week pending settlement of differences between the physicians and surgeons practicing at the institution and the administrative staff, would reopen as quickly as repairs to the building were completed and a hospital staff, comprised of the doctors, is organized. All parties held a meeting at the Hotel Bachelor to resolve differences. The meeting was attended by nearly a dozen physicians and surgeons, members of the board, the Conway ministerial alliance and a few other citizens. Mrs. S.G. Smith, chairman of the board, called the meeting and presided.

(1918)

100 Years Ago

Hendrix College would become an accredited military college with the opening of the fall term, according to an announcement made by President J.H. Reynolds. A U.S. Army officer would be detailed by the department to train the students. To assist the officer, six students in the college were appointed by President Reynolds at the request of Adjutant General Lloyd England, and these students would be sent to the students’ army training camp at Fort Sheridan, Illinois to undergo intensive training. A member of the faculty would be sent to the school also, but no professor had been named as yet.