August 4

(2008)

10 Years Ago

Rance Bryant was the new director of the Conway Regional Fitness Center. Aaron Leach had also been hired as a fitness coordinator. Bryant was formerly the fitness manager at Arkansas Children’s Hospital and received the Governor’s Council on Fitness Corporate Leadership award.

More than 200 brought their animals to the Springhill Spay and Neuter Clinic during a fundraiser to bring veterinary care to villages in Alaska. Dr. Eric Jayne, the veterinarian at the clinic, formerly lived in Alaska and still traveled there a few times a year to provide free care in the remote rural villages where there was no veterinarian.

(1993)

25 Years Ago

Andrea Kellum was the first Faulkner County recipient of an award from the First Time Home Buyers Program funded by the Arkansas Development Finance Authority. The $2,339 check was arranged by Shirley Lea, program coordinator for CAPCA.

The sale of bonds would be used to finance construction of a new elementary school by Mountain View Park in eastern Conway.

Arch Jones, UCA assistant athletic director, was pictured discussing the financial benefits of the Scottie Pippen Youth Foundation with Valerie Kelley of Big Brothers/Big Sisters; Henry Hawk of Special Olympics and Tom Hough of the Boys and Girls Club.

(1968)

50 Years Ago

Conway High School Band Director Russell Langston and 14 members of the band attended the fifth annual Arkansas Tech band camp: Sherri Stewart, Jackie Brown, Lila Havens, Lenese Hamilton, Charlotte Shideler, Jimmi Miller, Mike Stracener, Margaret Diles, James Prothro, Sandy Moseley, Patti Moseley, Sheila Fleming, Joe Edd Gunn and Judy Terry.

Lindsey Trucking Company had new offices being constructed on east Robins Street. Starkey Construction was building the 6,000 square-foot building.

Concrete was being poured on Interstate 40 on the eastern outskirts of Conway. The section from Hwy 64 south to Brumley was completed and the next section was being paved.

(1943)

75 Years Ago

Conway Memorial Hospital, closed since July 10 for repairs and on account of disagreement between the board and local physicians and surgeons over administrative matters, reopened.

The large two-story residence at 1334 Deer Street, known as Locust Lodge, was sold by Mrs. Ina Baker to Harold Morris.

The committee in charge of Cadron Valley cemetery announced there would be a working. At 11 a.m. Rev. J.W. Burgess would preach on “The Resurrection of the Dead.”

The mercury soared to 110 degrees. It was reported that a thermometer laid on a sidewalk in the business district rose to 130 degrees.

(1918)

100 Years Ago

Advertisement: The Model Laundry added to their plant a four-roll flat work ironer with ample capacity. Rough-dry, washed and starched ready for ironing, 7 cents per pound; wet wash, four cents per pound.