August 7

(2008)

10 Years Ago

The Faulkner County Plant Maintenance and Grounds subcommittee heard from Rik Sowell, with Sowell and Russell Architects, about his ideas for remodeling the existing courthouse. Sowell estimated it would cost $5,702, 862 that included a 5 percent contingency allowance due to the age of the building. The following day, the courthouse had to be shut down due to a plumbing issue in which sewer gas escaped into the building.

Laura Simpson, parent volunteer at the new Woodrow Cummins Elementary, announced that parents, teachers, and community volunteers would be spending the next two weekends creating a playground for students.

(1993)

25 Years Ago

Spirit Wind, the youth choir of Second Baptist Church, returned from a 10-day mission trip to Virginia and Washington DC. Approximately 85 youth and sponsors under the direction of Dennis Bergfield participated.

The Rev. Royce Ward was named pastor of Servant’s Chapel General Baptist Church on Ranchette Road.

The Rev. Keith Howard, executive director of John Jacobs Evangelistic Association/Power Team shared information about the Power Team Crusade that would be held in late September at Second Baptist Church. The Power Team consisted of seven world-class athletes who performed a great exhibition of strength, power, speed, inspiration and motivation.

(1968)

50 Years Ago

Dan F. Stowers, Jr., the Little Rock architect who designed the hexagonal pod-type $800,000 Conway High School, appeared before the school board to explain the delays which had put the construction 30 days behind the scheduled completion date of July 15. The president of General Construction, the contractor, had died in April and his widow was operating the business. An August 16 completion date was still being assured and Stowers recommended that the school take possession of each pod as it was finished.

Bill Johnson, manager of radio station KCON, would be the announcer for the high school All-Star football game.

(1943)

75 Years Ago

Through re-arrangement of more than 52 coaches and chair cars, the Missouri Pacific lines would make available some 2,000 additional seats to ease the war-time transportation problem. Some 25 baggage coaches were converted to passenger coaches. Large smoking rooms and office cars were also being converted to passenger cars.

Gases from the process of dehydrating buttermilk for use by the armed services at Swift and Co. had caused a foul smell in the southeastern section of the city. City council members Leo Crafton, Shelby Yowell and Sam Fausett paid a visit to the plant manager.

(1918)

100 Years Ago

Fire of unknown origin destroyed the beautiful brick residence of Col. J.E. Little in the western part of the city. The fire was discovered by the cook. Col. Little called the fire department but the distance to the fire and the lack of fire plugs by the building did not allow the firemen to keep the fire from spreading. Friends were able to save most of the furniture. Col. Little said the loss was estimated at $16,000 and the house was well protected with insurance.