By STEPHANIE FISCHER

LOG CABIN STAFF WRITER

A

The pretrial hearing for Torian Tolbert, the Conway teen charged with first degree murder in connection with the death of Quvondo Evans of Wynne, has been continued until February.

The pretrial date is set for Feb. 25.

Defense attorney Frank Shaw said almost, if not all, discovery in the case had been made available; however, the defense had not had the chance to file motions or discuss pleas with the prosecuting attorney.

Circuit Judge Charles "Ed" Clawson told attorneys that a new pretrial would "give everyone the opportunity to see where we are."

It was noted that Shaw had been retained for the defense only six to eight weeks ago and that the prosecuting attorney’s office was still deciding who would be the lead prosecutor on the case.

Tolbert, 19, is being held on a $1 million bond at the Faulkner County Detention Center. The court denied a motion requesting a lower bond in December.

In addition to first degree murder, Tolbert is charged with felony theft by receiving.

According to Conway police, Tolbert and Evans were involved in an altercation at the corner of Gum and Garland streets on Sept. 16 that led to Tolbert allegedly firing multiple shots from a small caliber handgun. Evans suffered gunshot wounds to the neck, abdomen and feet.

Evans was transported to Conway Regional Medical Center by a friend. He was pronounced dead around 6:30 p.m.

Tolbert was found a short time later at a nearby residence. According to the arrest report, he admitted the location of the handgun that was used in the shooting. The gun was found to be stolen.

(Staff writer Stephanie Fischer can be reached by e-mail at stephanie.fischer@thecabin.net or by phone at 505-1238. Send us your news at www.thecabin.net/submit.)