Members of the Historic District Commission on Monday night voiced their approval of new signs in the Asa P. Robinson Historic District.
Signs were funded in 2010 by a Certified Local Government Grant from the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program.
The signs were manufactured in the Conway Street Department sign shop.
The Commissioners heard City Planner Bryan Patrick report that the 2011 grant was recently approved and will provide a Save Your Wood Windows workshop led by architect Steve Hurd who will demonstrate how to restore and repair old wooden windows.
The grant will also pay for a brochure to be sent to homeowners in historic districts providing information and guidelines for the district.
Brochures for walking tours of historic sites in Conway will be developed, printed and placed in motels, the Chamber of Commerce and other likely spots for visitors to learn more about historic aspects of Downtown Conway, Old Conway, the Robinson District and the Hendrix Addition.
In other business, the Commissioners approved two requests for Certificates of Appropriateness for proposed construction in the district
• St. Joseph Catholic School provided information about a proposed 1,997 square foot addition to its office, enclosing an existing courtyard. Front entry steps would be remodeled into a sloping sidewalk with new brick "wings" to provide a handicap accessible entry.
The facade would be compatible with surrounding historic structures and will not alter the overall appearance of the building.
• Brad Lacy proposed to add a 600 square foot addition to the north side of his craftsmen/prairie style home at 507 Locust Ave.
Two nearby homes are on the National Register of Historic Places.
The proposed addition would match the appearance of the existing residence.
(Staff writer Becky Harris can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 505-1234.)