The Log Cabin Democrat news staff collected several awards Saturday at the Associated Press Managing Editors annual meeting in Heber Springs.
Publisher Rick Fahr completed his term as APME past president at the convention.
• The newspaper for Community Service. The annual Christmas card fundraiser provides assistance for students in need throughout the school year. The 2011 effort raised $26,200 by asking readers to donate and "sign" a Christmas card published during the holidays.
• Courtney Spradlin for spot news photo of the building collapse in downtown Morrilton.
• Becky Harris for feature photo of a first-grader opening his Valentine’s Day treat bag.
• Linda Hicks for a spot news story on the Vilonia tornado.
• David McCollum for a sports column on a group of alumni that supported their team.
• Former Editor Phil Lamb for an editorial on the University of Central Arkansas.
• Harris for business reporting on the Fayetteville Shale.
• The newspaper staff for General Excellence.
• Spradlin for her photographer’s portfolio.
• Spradlin for education reporting.
• Wilf Schultheis for his first-person account of surviving the Vilonia tornado.
• Lamb for a column on opposing the death penalty.
• The staff for coverage of the Vilonia tornado.
• Fahr for a column on ending hunger.
• McCollum for a sports column on the Joe Paterno scandal.