Three rezoning items that had drawn heated opposition throughout Conway were pulled from consideration during Tuesday’s meeting, one of which would have rezoned a residential area on Hubbard Road into planned unit development.
The property rezoning proposal by Mike Grimes and Chris Thornton was pulled from the agenda at the request of Thornton. It was originally on the council’s docket as an appeal after the Conway Planning Commission denied an earlier request to rezone the property near Carl Stuart Middle School and Marguerite Vann Elementary School. Grimes and Thornton had wanted to rezone a 4-acre area from residential (R-1) to planned unit development (PUD) in order to place 67 townhouse units within a gated community. It was the second time the commission had denied a rezoning request.
The developers had appealed their case to the council, but now that it has been pulled from consideration instead of being rejected, the developers can approach the commission with another request without waiting a year.
This is the second time a rezoning request has been denied by the commission for the property. Previously, the developer had requested a zoning of multi-family housing (MF-2) and had been told by the Conway City Council to be more specific about their plans and ask for a PUD, which could allow for certain restrictions by the commission or the council. Grimes said despite three public meetings within the neighborhood, he has seen an organized campaign against him.
Two other proposals were held in committee at the request of the applicants. One is concerning a retail drive-through pharmacy on West College Avenue, and the other is a proposal of mixed office and retail space on the Southeast corner of College and Prince Streets. Both requests were denied by the planning commission.
Frank Shaw, representing Keller Johnson on the office property, said he was still meeting with neighbors to find a solution to their objections.