It’s a joy to give over this space to Dr Jeff Jarvis, chairman of the UCA Department of Music.
Students from various areas within the UCA Department of Music were honored for their accomplishments during the Fall 2012 semester.
"We are excited to see how our current students are continuing the long tradition of excellence in research and performance," said Jarvis.
"Over the years, UCA music students have been leaders on and off campus as they share their talents. Our faculty are proud of the students we attract and proud of the strong work ethic they demonstrate while studying here."
• Senior Jonathan Pillow, vocal performance major, placed second in the Senior Men’s Division of the Regional National Association of Teachers of Singing competition in Baton Rouge, La.
• Freshman Mallory Brooks, music education major from Conway, won the Arkansas Music Teachers National Conference Senior Woodwinds Division, playing the saxophone.
• Sophomore Simona Donova, music performance major from Varna, Bulgaria, won the Young Artist Division, Arkansas MTNA, playing the flute.
• Senior Kayla Copeland, music education major from Greenbrier, was selected for the ARIA International Summer Academy of summer 2012 and honorable mention, Young Artist Division, Arkansas MTNA, playing the flute.
• Freshman Dalton Shaffer, music education major, won the MTNA Senior Brass Division, playing the euphonium.
• Senior Mary Cowperthwait, music education major, was selected as alternate in the Young Artist Division, Arkansas MTNA, playing the tuba.
• Graduate music education students Leslyn Jacks and Brent Gunnels presented their research study, "A Description of Sight-reading Practices in Arkansas Secondary Choral Programs," at the Arkansas Music Educators Association Fall Conference.
• Jacks also presented her research study, "Effects of Gender and Socioeconomic Status on Student Motivation in a Choral Setting."
• Also at the conference, graduate music education student Nancy Summit presented her research study, "Impact of Listening Model Quality on Self-Evaluation Accuracy in 8th-Grade Instrumentalists."
• Music education majors Aubrey Hoult and Emma Ockerman received Student Undergraduate Research Fellowship Grants.
Hoult’s research study, "A Comparison of Facial Muscle Activation Between Vocalists and Instrumentalists," will be presented at the 2013 Texas Music Educators Association conference.
• Ockerman formed a volunteer hand-bell choir of UCA students and Conway community members. They will perform with the Central Arkansas Children’s Choir in the spring 2013.
• Arkansas Intercollegiate Band, consisting of 12 UCA students, was selected to the 2013 Arkansas Intercollegiate Band.
For more information about the UCA Department of Music, call (501) 450-3163 or visit www.uca.edu/music.
in the wintertime
Does anyone remember a recent Saturday, must have been before Christmas, that someone was offering lessons in making tamales?
I was out-of-commission that day, but I had been planning to attend.
Doesn’t that sound like a wonderful thing to know?
Maybe my colleague Scarlet Sims could do a video on making tamales.
Until then, I’d like the contact information on the offer back in December.
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks.