The building program for Conway’s Senior Citizens will get a big boost this year if the City Council approves a $200,000 allocation from the Community Development Block Grant budget.
The budget will be discussed at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday and voted on during the regular meeting at 6:30 p.m. at the District Courtroom on Parkway.
The Faulkner County Council on Aging has begun a fund drive to raise $1.2 million for construction of a new Senior Citizens Center.
In addition, organizations that provide services to the elderly, youth and persons with disabilities will be given transportation support throughout the year.
The CDGB budget, totaling $824,481, will provide transportation for
• Boys and Girls Club,
• Independent Living Services,
• Faulkner County Council on Aging,
• Council on Developmental Disabilities,
• Women’s Shelter.
• Complete a medical exam room for the Children’s Advocacy Alliance;
• Continue revitalization efforts in Northeast Old Conway (Pine Street);
• Housing rehabilitation for CAPCA.
Laura Lee Wilcox McCool is director of the CDBG. She said she held training sessions with applicants to "adjust their requests to meet CDBG objectives and City of Conway priorities."
(Staff writer Becky Harris can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and 505-1234.)