Forty to 50 children were evacuated from Smart Start Christian Academy on Dave Ward Drive due to a gas leak. 

The children were transported to New Life Church and parents were notified of the situation and change in pick-up location.

Conway Fire Department Assistant Chief Mike Winter said a major pipeline runs by the school and a pop off valve did not shut off properly.

Winter said initial readings at the site were fine but soon gas levels started to rise.

"We felt with our readings rising it would be best to evacuate the children," he said.

The valve was fixed after the evacuation. The building now has a safe gas reading of zero and the building has been aired out.