A local attorney came to police the morning of Monday, March 13, about a theft of services.

He had, he told the reporting officer, been contacted Jan. 31 by a man via a messaging service that lists lawyers. The man, who had an email address indicating a drilling company, said he was in the process of selling a drilling rig for an Arkansas company and needed the attorney’s services for the purchase agreement. The attorney told the officer he looked the company up and everything appeared to be "legitimate," the report said.

On Feb. 15, he told the officer, he was sent a letter of intent for the purchase of the rig along with a check for $295,000. Nine days later he received a second communication telling him he could deposit the check. Then, 11 days later a communication gave him the instructions where to wire $215,300, in this case to a bank in Cambodia. On March 6 the wire transfer was confirmed, and on March 9 the attorney received a returned check notice for $295,000.

Since then, the report concluded, he had not been able to raise the man who had contacted him about the matter.

Junk in the trunk

Monday, March 13, just before noon, and police got a call about a car parked next to Old Morrilton Highway. It was, the caller told police, abandoned, with an open trunk and clothing on the ground all around it.

The reporting officer went to the site and spotted the car, a 2001 domestic four-door sedan. No one was near it, no note was on the dash nor anything indicating someone would be coming to get it, or when, the officer reported. The car was, the officer noted, far enough off the road not to create a traffic hazard. The trunk was open and, yes, clothing was "thrown around it." The front passenger’s window was down — with the glass stuck in the door — and the car was unlocked.

The officer checked and got the name of the car’s registered owner, a Vilonia woman. No phone number was on file, but the officer found insurance paperwork and was able to get the owner’s phone number by calling the insurance company.

She called and spoke with the car’s registered owner, 62. The woman said the car had broken down two days earlier and she was planning to pick it up "today." The officer told the woman she was going to put a 24-hour tow sticker on the car and the car would have to be gone in 24 hours. The woman agreed.

The woman acknowledged the car’s window was broken and that the car had been broken into while parked there. The officer did her best to gather up and resecure the things strewn about.

A tow sticker was placed and an extra patrol request submitted. The owner was given the report number.

And child

It was a Monday, 4:30 p.m. March 13, and the police were called to a department store about, they were told, a shoplifting currently underway.

The reporting officer and a second arrived, there meeting with the loss prevention associate for the store. She told them of a woman whom she spotted hiding some beauty products and women’s underwear.

The security camera footage was reviewed. As the officer watched, the woman took a pair of sunglasses off the rack, put them on, and went into the fitting room. A few minutes later she came out, still wearing the glasses, which now did not have a tag on them. She had with her a small boy, "believed to be her son," the report stated.

The loss prevention professional told the officer that after seeing this take place they checked the fitting room and found the stickers for the glasses inside there, as well as some other clothing tags. This, she told the officer, gave her cause to speak with the woman, 42, and then escort her to the store’s loss prevention office where she got her name. She was then introduced to police.

The woman told the officers she was in the store shopping with her mother, and the child was her son. She asked that the child be turned over to her mother while she contended with the whole caught stealing thing. One officer got the child and grandmother together, and the other processed paperwork, and the woman was taken downtown and "processed for intake," the report stated. She was also criminally trespassed from the store, per the loss prevention associate’s request.