Synthetic reality

Tuesday, March 14, at 6:41 p.m., police were called to a home — which happened to be near a school — about a man who had some "K2" with him and was trying to give it back to a second man. Both men were named by the caller.

(K2 is a synthetic substance designed to be smoked like marijuana. Because of its chemical makeup, however, it’s known to have a much more intense and powerful effect, and users are often seen to be very aggressive right after consumption. It is illegal to sell or distribute in Arkansas since 2010.)

As the reporting officer was on the way, dispatch updated him that the second man, the intended recipient, had been the subject of a similar call at the same home.

As the officer pulled up to the home, a man flagged him down. He said he was the caller. In the background, in the driveway, was the man reported to have the K2, now "pacing back and forth and talking on a cell phone," the report stated. The officer got out of his car to speak to all concerned.

The man who called was the K2 holder’s stepfather. He asked the officer if he knew the purported possessor and the officer replied he did and was very familiar with the holder, age 26. The stepfather, hearing this, gave a chuckle, and in what was reported as a "sarcastic manner" said "go figure," per the report. The stepfather said he’d come into the holder’s room and found some K2 under the young man’s arm while the young man was passed out. His stepson then woke up, he told the officer, and said he wanted the K2 back, as it was not his and he had to give it to a second man because he "owed it to him." The stepfather replied he was calling the cops, he told the officer, and with that his stepson walked outside.

There on the lawn, the stepson was met by a second man, the one named earlier, to pick up his K2. The stepfather told the officer he spoke to that man, telling him he had the K2 and was calling the police. With this news, the second man took off running toward the nearby school, just before the officer arrived.

"At this point [the stepson] had confessed to not only possessing the K2, but trying to deliver it to [the second man]," the officer reported. The officer reporting moved toward the man to place him under arrest when a car pulled up, driven by a third man. The stepson walked toward that car, ignoring the officer’s commands, and got in. The officer, who told the car to stop, recognized the driver. A backup officer arrived.

Radio calls were made, and it was found the car’s driver had a misdemeanor warrant from Conway Police. The officer had the backup officer arrest the stepson, while he arrested the car’s driver, putting both into handcuffs and in the backs of separate police cars.

The narcotics officer on duty was called and brought up to date. He didn’t need to go on-scene, he replied, and just go ahead and arrest and jail the pair (speaking more toward the stepson because of the K2 thing). Meanwhile, the stepson’s Parole Officer (PO) arrived on site, stating he’d had some "run ins" with the man the day before. He said the stepson showed up at his office and was seated in the lobby. When he came out to arrest him — a "parole hold" — the man was gone.

(A parole hold generally indicates a failing to maintain parole conditions. The details were not given in the report, but failing a drug test would be an example of cause for a parole hold, as would failing to maintain scheduled meetings with the parole officer.)

As this was all being gathered up, the officer had a casual conversation with the stepson, asking him how long he had been in "the game." About seven years, the man replied. He told the officer he was "addicted and trying to get into a rehab center," the report stated. He admitted to having smoked some K2 he had gotten from the man who had run away earlier, and he was trying to give back "what he owed" to the man when he showed up at the house.

Meanwhile the car’s driver was arrested, his car impounded. The stepson was also arrested, and a hold was placed on him by parole officer.

The officer returned to the station, typing out the (rather lengthy) report and booking the evidence in for process by the crime lab. The man who ran away, being recognized, was placed in the "others involved" portion of the report. The report shows the incident was over by 7:45 p.m.