It was March 28, a Tuesday, at 6:30 p.m., when police were called to a consignment shop in a Amity Road shopping center. Shoplifting, the caller said, had taken place, as two women had left the store with pilfered goods, gotten in a car and left.

The reporting officer arrived and spoke with the manager, who in turn showed him security tapes while narrating the events. The woman said the two women came into the store about 40 minutes earlier and proceeded to browse the goods for sale. The report described the women in some detail, including their hairstyles and jewelry. At about 15 minutes after the hour, the two moved to the store’s front door. The manager said she tried to intervene, aware that the women were leaving with goods they had not purchased, and followed them out to their car, a Chrysler with a damaged bumper, parked out front. As she did so, she told the officer, the one women turned to her and yelled "I’m homeless bitch!" and kicked her in the thigh.

The two then got in the car, driven by a third, a man, and left. The car backed across the parking lot in getting away from the store, before the driver shifted into drive and moved forward to leave.

The car description, which was red, was described in some detail, especially damage to its rear bumper, missing a piece on one side.

An employee of the store verified the manager’s story, having been witness to the events. The officer checked the area around the shopping center, but did not spot the car or the two women.

See gar

Wednesday, March 29, the first 13 minutes of the day, police were called to the Highway 64 Superstore convenience store on Old Morrilton Highway. A man had, police were told, shoplifted.

At the store the officer met with the owner. He said a man, a young man, had come into the store and stolen some cigars. The man had come in with a second man, and while the store owner was distracted the young man grabbed some small cigars on the store’s counter. He then walked out the door, while his friend paid for various items he had purchased.

He told the officer he double checked the store’s security camera footage, confirming what had taken place, then went out front to speak with the man who had stolen the cigars. The man, he told the officer, was sitting in an SUV out front, and initially told the store owner he had not taken anything. They argued, the owner told the officer, and the argument became heated. The owner said he then grabbed the man’s cell phone and went back inside the store. The man then followed him inside, laid some cigars on the counter and a $5 bill. The owner said he was calling police and the man then left and jumped in the SUV, which pulled out quickly, pulling onto Highway 25. A customer came in and gave the store owner the SUV’s license plate number, which belonged to a GMC Arcadia out of Greenbrier, as the officer confirmed and reported.

Arrangements were made for police to get a copy of the security footage to add to the report.

Attack machines

Police were called to an apartment on Pebble Beach Drive about "a disturbance." It was Wednesday, March 29, 10:41 a.m.

A woman who called said there was a woman at her door who was cursing while banging on her door, and wanted her to come outside and fight. She then told dispatch that the woman may be trying to damage her car.

Police arrived, and the woman at the door had, by now, left. The woman who lived in the apartment said this was all part of an ongoing argument with the woman, who she named. This was, she said, the second time the woman had shown up trying to fight her. Police, with the woman, looked at her car, a black Saturn, and found the words "Bitch" and "Hoe" scratched into it. A third word was scratched onto the hood, but too faint to make out, the officer reported. Pictures were taken and added to the report.

Police went to the named woman’s home to speak with her, but she was not home, the report concluded.

Life is complex

It was getting late, 11:23 p.m., when a police officer found himself speaking with a woman outside a home in a mobile home community on Fairview Street. The woman, 36, said she was walking to a fast food restaurant when she found a car she thought was for sale outside the Fairview Street home. She spoke with the owner and found the car was available for $400. As the conversation ensued, the man agreed to drive the woman to the fast-food restaurant, and did so.

When they got back to the home, she told the officer, she was "confronted by the owner’s boyfriend," per the report, who then confronted her, asking her what she was doing riding around with his girlfriend. She told him, she told the officer, the report stated, and this led to an argument. In the course of the argument the man said he was going to get a gun and shoot her, she told the officer.

At this point she called police, then a friend to come and pick her up, she explained.

The officer spoke with the man of the home, the one accused of the veral attack and gun threat. The man said the woman did ask about the car, his girlfriend did give her a ride to the fast-food establishment, but when they got back the woman would not leave. This, the not leaving, is what brought about the argument, he told the officer. When she agreed to leave she walked to the street and then called a friend to pick her up, he told the officer.

The gun, the man explained to the officer, came about when the man who came to pick the woman up arrived and said he had a gun in his truck. He did not, however, see a gun, he told the officer.

The woman had the warrant process explained to her, and it was recommended she not come back to the address.