Perchance to dream

It was 1 a.m. Saturday morning, Sept. 23, and an officer was pulling up to the Kum & Go on Prince Street. A pickup truck was parked there, a Toyota Tundra.

In it, a man was asleep.

The officer walked over to the truck and opened the driver’s door. The man woke up. The officer introduced himself. And here the officer reported: "I could smell the odor of alcohol emitting from this person." The officer asked the 37-year-old man to step from the car and the man did so. Here, the officer noted, the man needed to use the truck to steady himself as he stood.

The man and truck were searched and on the front passenger-side seat of the truck was a half-consumed bottle of whiskey.

The officer asked the man some questions and was given the wrong time of day, that he had gotten to the Kum & Go at that same wrong time of day and that he’d been at his buddy’s house, which he’d left about a half hour after the time he was telling the officer it was now.

He was confused, then he was arrested, charged with public intoxication and an open container of alcohol in a motor vehicle. He was taken to jail, mug shots and all that, and the Tundra was impounded.

Underwear there

A hit and run was the call from dispatch, and an officer went to South German Lane where the incident was reported. It was Sunday, Sept. 24, minutes before 3 p.m.

When the officer pulled up he spotted a man there, "… lying on the street." First responders were also on scene, and as they attended to the man the officer checked with the person nearby who had called police. The officer was told the caller just found the man lying in the road, no car, leave alone a hit and run, was seen.

The officer turned his attention to the first responders, one of whom told him the man didn’t have any injuries like someone would get after being hit by a car. Another curious point was the man lying in the road was wearing nothing but boxer briefs and a T-shirt. He did not have any scrapes or the sort of thing which comes from being hit by a car.

That and, the officer reported, the man appeared to be under the influence "… of some type of drug or intoxicant."

As this knot was being studied, a bail bondsman walked up and gave the officer further insight. He had just bonded the man out of jail, he told the officer, "maybe 20 minutes ago." The man had wandered off and he lost him, he said. The man currently lying in the road had been arrested in Greenbrier at 5:30 a.m. "… for running down the highway wearing what he was currently and screaming." (Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.)

With all this worked out the man, age not given (one presumes no ID, leave alone wallet, was present) updated a first responder who passed the info to the officer. He had been hit by a car, the man said. Then he said he was not. Then he said he was, then he said he couldn’t remember.

They took him to the hospital. While there, the report concluded, he told the officer he didn’t know what had happened.

Anger and authority

The report started at the end, as the officer reported meeting a second officer who had a man in the back seat of his patrol car. The man was being charged with public intoxication and disorderly conduct, the officer was told, and was to be taken to jail.

The officer did so. It was Friday, Sept. 22, at 8:10 p.m.

The events leading up to the exchange were in a supplement to the report. In it an officer reported he was securing a perimeter at a 4th Street address while a narcotics search warrant was being served on a home there.

As the officer stood his watch a man came walking down the street. As the man drew near one of the police cars with its flashing blue lights he, the officer reported, "Flipped the car off."

"It seemed odd to me that he did this, since he had no visible ties to the resident where the search warrant was being conducted," the officer’s narrative continued.

Shortly after this event, the officer reported seeing the same man come out of his nearby home with two dogs, one a pit bull, one a chihuahua. The pitbull came toward one of the K9 dogs on site and the officer tending the K9 had to step in to get between the two. Police told the man to get his two dogs, but instead the man walked away to another apartment, the officer reported.

The officer grabbed the pitbull and walked it to the man, telling him to take it inside. As he was close to the man that late-night report favorite, the "odor of intoxicants" was noted. The man cursed repeatedly as the officer was near. The officer told him to stay inside or he would be arrested for public intoxication. The man went inside his home.

As the officer walked away he could hear the man cursing from inside his home. Then he began this thing where he would open the door, stand in it, then close the door, repeatedly, as if to taunt the officers.

"My primary assignment was to keep the scene secure," the officer reported, "so I was attempting in every way to keep from being involved with [man’s name]"

Then the man stepped back out of the house again and began walking toward another apartment, this despite being told several times to stay inside. Some friends of the man, nearby, were asked to take him home, but when they moved to do so the man began shouting and cursing again.

With all this considered, the man was taken into custody. A call was made to the reporting officer to come get the man, and later a supplement to that report was filed.