From Conway Police Department reports

A big fake

Police were called to the Kum & Go on Dave Ward Drive just after 8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 28. They been handed a counterfeit bill, the responding officer was told.

The officer arrived and spoke with the manager. She told him of a man who came in and asked to get $10 in gas for his pickup truck. He paid his bill with a $100. After getting his $90 change he walked back outside, pumped his gas, and left.

They didn’t see which way he went when he left, the manager told the officer. It happened the man parked at a pump where the camera would not get a picture showing his license plate, the officer found out. The officer was able to get a picture of the man who passed the bill.

The fake bill was taken as evidence.

Fight bike

Police were called to Cleo’s Furniture on Thursday, Sept. 28 at 10:17 a.m. as a couple were there having a very loud, verbal fight. The officer arrived and was introduced to the couple. He asked them what the argument was about.

The woman told him they were arguing because they had lost track of the key to their home. The man, 28 however, had a different take, saying the argument was about the woman sleeping with another man "and he was mad about it." He also brought up with the officer that he was trying to fix up a bicycle he had just purchased for $200 the night before.

The officer had a chance to look at the bike, and was struck by it looking "fairly new" and appearing to be worth far more than $200. The officer double-checked with the man, who said he did not have the bicycle the day before, that he had purchased it last night. The officer checked the bike’s serial number and called it in, finding out the bicycle had been reported stolen the night before and a police report showing the serial number filed.

So yeah, handcuffs. The man was arrested for being in possession of a stolen bicycle and taken to jail. At the jail the man became "uncooperative," according to the report, and was placed in a cell with no mug shots being taken.

The bicycle was returned to its owner, who met the officer in a business parking lot on Harkrider Street. The bike was missing some equipment, the owner said, but he wasn’t going to pursue further charges.

Things into air

Police were called to a Robins Street business office Thursday, Sept. 28 at 8:27 a.m. The office had been burglarized, the caller said. The reporting officer arrived and was met by two women who worked there.

The first woman told the officer she walked into the office through the front door without even realizing there had been a break-in. This changed, however, when she walked to the back of the business and saw the back door closed but with branches from a bush trapped between the door and the door jamb, poking into the back room. Then she realized the door was partially ajar. She started looking around and realized some things were missing from the business.

Missing items included two laptop computers and a safe. A television was also missing from one room and finally, some guns the business had taken as collateral were missing: three rifles and a pistol.

Department investigators were contacted and they arrived to take over the investigation. The officer checked with the man who owned the guns, who said he did not have the serial numbers for them.

Stuck in the mud

Police were called to a home Thursday, Sept. 28, about a theft. This was shortly after noon, at 12:35 p.m. The officer arrived and spoke with the woman of the home.

The woman told the officer she had hired a man to do a job at her house, for which she paid him up front, and he would not finish the work. She was there with him that morning, she told the officer, and they were both working on the home. She left to get some more mud for the job they were working on and when she got back he was gone.

Worse, when the man left he had taken some tools that were hers, she told the officer, giving him a list of missing items, including paint sprayer, a grinder and smaller tools. As the officer was writing this down, the man texted the woman. The officer had her text him back that the officer would be calling shortly.

The officer then spoke with the man. The man told the officer he had done the work he’d originally agreed to do for the woman, but she wanted him to do some additional work and still hadn’t paid him for the first job. He wasn’t going to do any more work without being paid, he told the officer. He didn’t have the tools, he told the officer, save for the grinder, which was worn out. He’d be happy to bring that back to the woman, he said. Other tools may have been taken by some men who worked for him as they were loading up from the job site, but he would check. If anything was missing he would pay the woman back, he said.

The officer checked back with the woman who said she still wanted to file a theft report, which she did and was given a report number. He explained to the woman that the disagreement about money owed would be a matter for civil court.