From Conway Police Department reports

Wrong times wrong

It was eight minutes after 11 p.m. on a Saturday night, the last one of September that Sept. 30. It was a red pickup truck and it was north on Skyline near the Interstate. It was not doing a good job of being driven. As the officer watched the truck swerved from its lane, then, ultimately, from the highway. Blue lights, of course, for a swerving truck in such a high-traffic area.

The truck kept rolling, turning right into the Conway Towne Center (and not using a turn signal). Still, it kept rolling. It reached a stop sign, stopped briefly, then made a right through the parking lot, rolling over a curb with its back tires in doing so (and again, no turn signal), all the while followed by a police SUV with blue lights going.

It turned onto the road next to the shopping center then turned like it was going to the rear of the center. Then it stopped quickly and went into reverse. The officer had to do some fancy driving to stay out of the pickup’s way. A radio call went out for assistance. The pickup’s driver looked right at the officer, then turned back onto the road and started heading back toward 65. Coordinating through dispatch, the truck was blocked in at the stop sign at the top of the road (John McCracken Road, by the way). Police called for the driver, the only person seen in the truck, to get out.

He did so, showing to be unsteady. The officer spoke with him and noted the bloodshot and watery eyes, the slurred speech and, in a turn which will surprise few, a "strong odor of intoxicants."

The man, 43, was belligerent. He called the surrounding officers names, at times using racial slurs or insults which brought the recipient’s birthright into question. He had a 14 year old in the truck, he told officers, his son. Police checked but nobody else was in the truck, a 2017 Silverado.

The man, bare footed as well as uncooperative, was determined to be a poor candidate for a field sobriety test. The man was cuffed and stuffed for a trip downtown for a breath test, and a wrecker was called to impound his pickup.

The man was difficult to work with, going through mood swings, at times cooperative, at other time angry, then combative, then cooperative again. He told police he wanted to call his lawyer, telling police he’d drank nothing, then admitting to having had three beers. He had cooked steaks for the Greenwood Police Department, he told officers, and told them he thought that would get him "a free pass." Regardless, he was sure his attorney would get him out of any charges and he would have this incident "all over the media" he told the reporting officer. He, finally, agreed to take a breath test, but was unable to give a usable sample. (The machine requires two tests which are compared to assure accuracy.) While testing he raised his middle finger to the testing officer. Then he refused to take further tests.

Then the man said he didn’t know where he was at or how he had gotten there. The last thing he recalled, he told the officer, he was at the hotel, about to have a drink, and his son told him not to drink. He did recall deciding to make a run to get something to eat at a fast food establishment. His son, he said in response to the officer’s question, was at the hotel with friends (keep reading).

Meanwhile arrangements were made and a signed search warrant was gained so the man’s blood could be drawn. This was done, his blood drawn at the hospital. It was now 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning. There he told the officer he’d had a half-pint of whiskey. He also told the officer he was half-black and the officer could, if he wished, pull down his shorts to see. (The officer apparently did not act on this offer.)

He was taken to jail.

Meanwhile police checked and found which hotel the man had been staying at using evidence from the truck inventory search prior to it being impounded. They went there, checked with the desk, and went to a room on the fourth floor the man was renting. Inside was his 14-year-old son.

They were in town for a baseball tournament, the young man told the officers. Police found some friends of the man staying in a nearby room and took his son — after gaining the father’s permission - there.

The shoes

A man came to police Monday afternoon, Oct. 2 at 2 p.m. to complain about a theft. Two pairs of his shoes had been taken and he wanted to report it to police, he said.

The man continued, the shoes were two pair that he had stored at a ministry center on Robins Street as he lived "on the streets" for a week. When he came back, the shoes were missing. He suspected a man named Chip had taken them, he told the officer, but didn’t know anything else about the man other than the name given.

Listed as missing in the report were two pair of name-brand size 13 basketball shoes, valued at $20 and $30 respectively.