From Conway Police Department reports

People, cars and odors

Sunday morning, early Sunday morning, pre-sunrise Sunday morning Oct. 1 at 4:05 a.m. when an officer arrived at a home, called there by a woman reporting a man had run into her boyfriend’s car. The man who hit the car then knocked on the door of the home until they woke up, the officer was told, and the same man waited there for police to arrive. The officer then spoke with the man.

He was driving down the street, the man, 23, said, when the front wheel fell off his car forcing his car, a 2004 Camry, to swerve and hit a car parked on the roadside.

The storyteller had, the officer noted here, the "odor of intoxicants" about him.

The woman told the officer the man who had woke her up asked for her help so he would not get a DUI. It was, alas, the officer noted, too dark to be able to do any of the field sobriety tests, notably the Nystagmus eye-follow-the-finger thing. The officer had the man join him nearby where his patrol car was parked and a street light offered better illumination. The man had the bloodshot and watery eyes, the officer noting here, further noting the "odor of intoxicants" was all-the-more stronger. He admitted to the officer that he’d had a "a few shots" earlier in the night.

Here, in the light (both practically and metaphorically), the field sobriety tests were undertaken. The eyes, they wavered, the feet, they stumbled, the balance, it didn’t. He was cuffed and stuffed. At the police station a breath test was given and the man blew a 0.16 BAC.

He was taken to jail.


It was two minutes, literally two minutes, into the start of Saturday morning, Sept. 30, when an officer on patrol spotted a car doing a poor job of staying in its lane. As the officer watched the car, a Honda Accord, swerved in its lane, even bumping the curb, before quickly pulling into a gas station parking lot stopping more-or-less in the middle of the lot, away from the bumps or, really, anything else. Then it slowly creeped to one of the pumps.

The patrolling officer, noting this odd bit of driving, got out to approach the car. And with that the car was back in gear and pulling back onto Prince Street. The officer got back in the patrol car, the blue light switch was set to "on," and the swerving Accord was pursued. The car went a short distance and pulled into a parking lot.

The driver, the only person in the car, was a bit of a mess. The officer reported the man’s eyes were bloodshot and watery, his speech slurred, his movements "slow and clumsy" matched with a delayed response to instructions. (Interestingly, the term "odor of intoxicants" did not appear in the report, nor was it implied.) The officer asked the man for license and registration and the man just stared at the passenger seat of the car. After a pause he fumbled in the glove box, then told the officer he didn’t know where anything was, it was his girlfriend’s car.

The officer called for a second officer to join him.

Long story short the 33 year old man’s driver’s license was suspended. The officer had him get out of the car. The confused stumbling man, throughout the exchange, kept reaching in his pockets. The officer kept telling him to take his hands out of his pockets. As the man got out of the car, however, he reached in his pockets. So the officer pinned him to the car, then put him in cuffs (which was going to happen anyway, what with the suspended license and all).

Police searched the car prior to it being impounded, and found three pills, unmarked, in a small bag. The man told police one of the officers must have planted the pills. The man was taken downtown for further testing. At the station the usual litany of tests for looking, walking and balancing were done. It was a mess, the man almost falling over at one point. For this the officer stopped further testing rather than risking the man’s health.

It came time for the breath test and the man told police he was sure he was not going to pass, because he only drinks "the hard [redacted], not that weak [redacted]." He registered a 0.20 BAC. He was jailed, charged with DUI, suspended license, careless and prohibited driving and possession of narcotics.

Loves film

Police were called to a Clifton Street apartment just after noon, at 12:21 Tuesday, Oct. 3. A woman there, police were told, had hit her caregiver. Police arrived and spoke with the caregiver. She told police her boss told her to call police about the incident which had just taken place.

Her patient, the woman told officers, had slapped her. The patient had $20 for laundry and became upset when she was told she could not go to the movies like she wanted. When the caregiver told her no she got upset and slapped the caregiver’s arm.

The officer checked and the woman had no marks on her arm. She also told police she did not want to file charges and was only doing this at her boss’s instructions. As police were wrapping up the woman’s supervisor arrived and told police they’d had trouble with this patient slapping people.

The matter was filed as an information report.