Motorcycle zoom

Sunday night, Oct. 8, 10 minutes after 9 p.m. an officer on patrol found himself following a motorcycle on Ingram. The motorcycle made a quick stop at the sign and accelerated quickly onto 6th Street. The officer followed the black motorcycle, its rider in black full-face helmet and black jacket.

As the officer turned, the motorcycle already was a great distance away, despite the 30 mph speed limit. The officer caught up with the motorcycle and went blue lights, the motorcycle by now obviously speeding. The motorcycle kept going. The officer called into dispatch that he was in pursuit.

The pair, motorcycle and officer, reached the roundabout at 6th and S. Amity and the motorcycle turned onto Amity, now accelerating, the officer reported, up to 80 mph while passing cars without regard to the double yellow lines. A quick turn onto Dave Ward, and soon the motorcycle was on the Interstate. There the rider (presumably male, with little more known due to the helmet and jacket) got up to 115 mph while cutting through traffic.

They passed Mayflower, still over 100 mph. The rider tried to, in effect, hide behind an ambulance while the officer passed him. The officer saw the truck and slowed down. When the rider realized he’d been spotted he got back on the gas.

Soon after, a sergeant called in, ending the pursuit "due to inoperable radio issue," the officer reported as his car was getting out of radio range. The officer declared the pursuit over at the Morgan/Maumelle exit.

Not part of the plan

An incident with two groups in one La Quinta hotel room resulted in the police being called Saturday, Oct. 7, shortly after 6 p.m.

The couple who first checked into the room met the reporting officer in the lobby. They told the officer they rented their third-floor room the day before, in town to visit their son, a college student. They left the room just before lunch to attend a function at Hendrix, getting back at 6 p.m. Their room key didn’t work so they went to the front desk and got a replacement key, then went back to their room and opened the door. That’s when it became a situation.

When they opened the door a woman and two men were already in there, and the couple’s things were, as the officer reported, "scattered about the room" combined with a number of things in the room which did not belong to them.

They, as one can imagine, called the front desk. The desk clerk came to the room to see what the problem was, and as she did so one of the men grabbed a bag and left the room. The other man had left by the time the officer arrived, the officer was told.

So the officer, with the woman who was inside the room when the couple got there, went with the officer to the front desk to try to untangle what was taking place. As they were at the front desk, the officer noted a man standing nearby who was very interested in the conversation. The officer checked with the man and he said the woman was his aunt, and he had helped her move things into the room. He had no ID and was from out of town, he told the officer, who asked him to step outside so they could talk (he will re-appear in this tale shortly). A detective was called because of the nature of the situation.

The detective arrived, who, in his supplement, reported "significant confusion" as the situation unfolded. As he researched, it was discovered the room, because of a mistake by an employee, had been double booked, a clerk renting it to the second couple thinking the Hendrix visitors had checked out and the room had been cleaned.

The officer went with the couple to the room who checked, and found, other than the room being "in total disarray" they were missing about $150 in jewelry and an electric razor. An officer was left with them as they gathered their things and the detective checked with the desk clerk. There he spoke with the woman who was in the room when the couple returned. She told them she and her friends Moose and Spider checked into the room at about 1 p.m. When they got to the room it had somebody else’s things in it, she told the detective. She called the desk but there was no answer, so she, Moose and Spider settled in.

The officer checked with the clerk, who, he determined, made a mistake using the hotel’s reservation system which led to the room being double booked, as opposed to conspiring with a group to get into the room.

"While criminals often come up with terrible plans for their crimes, this scenario would be significantly worse than the worst criminal conspiracies I have encountered in 10 years as a law enforcement officer," the detective reported.

It was not clear if it was Spider or Moose who took the jewelry and razor, his report concluded.

Meanwhile there was the report of the nephew, filed as a supplement (remember him?).

The officer stepped outside with the man and got his name. They ran the information through and found the man was on probation and had a search waiver on file. The man was, the officer reported, "acting strange," and apparently under the influence, with slurred speech and watery eyes. The officer searched him and found, in a piece of folded paper in his pant’s pocket, what was apparently methamphetamine.

The man said it wasn’t his and the officer must have planted it on him. A second officer who observed the search disagreed.

The man was arrested and charged with possession.