Doing curls

Evening was coming on Tuesday, Oct. 10, about 5:30 p.m. when police were called to Dave Ward Drive about a hit-and-run accident. Officers met with the woman whose car had been hit, her having pulled over into a garage and Dave Ward near the Interstate.

The woman said she was in traffic when her car got rear ended. The car that hit her immediately turned off and kept going on Dave Ward toward the Interstate. She followed, she told the officer, but lost sight of the car in the traffic. She was able to describe the car to officers, a silver Toyota Camry, as well as giving police its license number. The car’s hood was curled up from the accident, the woman told the officer.

The reporting officer got back in his car and began to look for the silver Camry, crossing the Interstate on Dave Ward and checking the commuter parking lot. As he was travelling back he saw, parked at the fuel pumps at the Exxon station there, a silver Camry. As he drew closer he saw its hood was curled, and closer still that it had the license number the woman had given him. Closer, still again, and he saw a man was pumping gas into it, and a second man was sitting in the driver’s seat trying to duck out of sight. Of course the officer stopped.

The officer walked up to the car and asked the man pumping gas whose car it was. The man pointed to the man doing a poor job of ducking out of sight while seated in the driver’s seat. The officer had that man get out and they spoke.

The driver’s ID was gained, and he was found to have a suspended driver’s license. The other man was pumping gas because he didn’t have the money for gas, he told the officer, who found that odd since the man driving had money in his pocket. The investigation continued.

The driver wasn’t acting quite right, appearing "lethargic" to the officer. No odor of intoxicants was noted, but the officer suspected the man had taken some sort of narcotic. Further investigation revealed the man was on parole and had a search waiver on file. He was searched and the car quickly swept, then a wrecker was called. The man, suspended license driving as he had been, was cuffed and stuffed for the ride downtown.

The car sweep was done quickly because there were people, the officer reported, at the gas station paying a great deal of attention to him and the second officer who had arrived to assist. The officer thought they might have been friends of the driver he was arresting. (They were not, it turned out. They were people who were waiting for an officer to arrive as they had been in a traffic accident and called police, the officer determined later.)

The man, 27, was jailed, he car impounded and his parole officer notified.

Friends in your pocket

A man came to the police station Tuesday afternoon, Oct. 10 at 3:48 p.m. to report a theft. He spoke with an officer.

The man told the officer $1,700 had been stolen from him when he was at a pool hall on Willow Street the previous Friday. The money had been taken by a friend, he said ("friend"). The man said the money, in cash, had been in his pants pocket when it was taken.

He explained: His friend asked him earlier in the evening if he could borrow $20. The man agreed, and reached in his pocket and pulled out a $20 bill and gave it to him. When he did so his friend ("friend") saw the $50 and $100 dollar bills which made up his now-missing $1,700. As the evening wore on and festivities concluded, his friend came over to say good night, giving him a hug. It was shortly after that the man realized the money, along with his ID, was missing from his front pants pocket.

Shortly after that, he told the officer, his friend ("friend") posted on social media about having a "crisp stack of $100s," he told the officer.

The officer gave the man, 41, a report number. He told the officer he did not have a phone number at the moment, but would let the officer know when he got one so it could be part of the report.

The bag man

A man called police Tuesday, Oct. 10 in mid-afternoon at 2:51 p.m. about his having found something, a bag. The bag, small, was next to a trash can at a Prince Street car wash, the man told police.

An officer met with the man who handed over a black bag. Inside the bag were eight needles and two spoons. The bag had a Batman logo on it.

The officer brought the bag to the police station to be destroyed.