From Conway Police Department reports

And run

There’d been an accident. Police were called to it in those dark early hours of Saturday, Oct. 14 at 4:22 a.m. there on Highway 65. The officer arrived and spoke with the woman there.

She told the officer she had been on the road, driving, when she was rear-ended by a car. As soon as the accident took place, the driver of the car which hit her jumped out and ran away. A witness confirmed the woman’s story, and gave police a written statement as to what he saw.

Police checked, and the registered owner of the hitting car, a red Cavalier, matched the description of the man seen running from the scene. That same person was seen running in the direction the registered owner lived. Officers went to the address, but nobody was home.

The Cavalier was towed and impounded.

("Cavalier" is an interesting word. Today it’s most used to show a careless attitude as in "He was very cavalier about his column deadline," but has its roots as something much more substantial. Cavalier was originally the term used to derisively describe those loyal to Charles I during the English civil war in the mid 1600s. In time that loyalist group began to call itself by that name. While the dress of a Charles I loyalist was a minor consideration, the term came to be used, in time, to refer the sort of dress these loyalist courtesans, these Cavaliers, wore. The clothing was brightly colored with elaborate, even lace, trim, and hair was worn long, in ringlets. The head of Charles I’s cavalry, Prince Rupert, was felt to best embody this fashion. Rupert went on to play a major role in shaping the Canadian political landscape as the first governor of the Hudson’s Bay Company. The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is a popular dog breed.)

Don’t drink

Police were called to an apartment at 8:44 p.m. Saturday night, Oct. 14. A woman there, police were told, had drank some Windex. The woman was, they were further told, bipolar and had run from the scene on foot. The reporting officer arrived.

As the officer arrived he spotted the woman in the parking lot, walking away from first-responders who were already on scene. The officer stepped up and spoke to her, noting she was "obviously distressed," repeatedly yelling "leave me alone," to all who would listen, including the officer.

"She refused to communicate with me," the officer reported, as he saw the woman walking back to her apartment.

He spoke to the woman’s sister as they all arrived at the apartment. Meanwhile a second officer arrived and tried to speak with the woman the call was about while the reporting officer spoke with her sister. The woman’s mother arrived, as did first responders, including an ambulance crew.

The sister told the officer the woman had not drank any Windex. She had taken as sip, she told the officer, then spit it out. The mother told the officer the woman, her daughter was no longer on her medication "and had not had an episode in months." The woman who prompted the call was interviewed, and she said she had no intention of hurting herself and that she did not drink anything.

The officers got the mother’s contact info in case they needed to contend with the woman again, then left the scene.

Thought he was a loaner

A woman called police Sunday, Oct. 15 at 6:32 p.m. to report her being harassed. An officer took the report.

The woman said she’d gotten a phone call from a number she didn’t recognize. She answered it. On the other end of the line was a man who told the woman he was upset, as she had cut him off in traffic earlier. The woman asked him how he had gotten her number, and he said he worked at the DMV and had typed her tag number into the system to find her number. The woman asked where the perceived traffic infraction had taken place.

With this, she told the officer, the man began to scream "incoherently." She hung up. He called back and continued his incoherent diatribe. She told him (reasonably) to stop screaming, then hung up the phone.

She told the officer she didn’t know the man’s name. The officer looked the number up, and found it was registered to "Jojo" from Tulsa.

What she was concerned about, she told the officer, was that if the man could get her phone number, he could also get her address. She asked for, and the officer agreed, to assign additional patrols to her home.

The officer told the woman that due to the at-best limited information, it would be very difficult to charge the man making the calls. The woman asked a report be made and the officer complied with her request, and she was given a report number.

The officer, after the woman left, tried to call "Jojo" but each call returned a "call did not go through" message.