From Conway Police Department reports

Bad at sneaky

Police were called to the Probation and Parole office on Monday, Oct. 16 at 2:20 p.m. A disturbance, officers were told, was taking place there. While on the way police were updated that the disturbance was with a parolee who was struggling with officers.

The reporting officer arrived and spoke with a parole officer, the one who had made the call. She was, she told the officer, the man’s parole officer and he had come to the office to speak with her. She called him to come back to her office, she explained, and as was the custom patted him down for weapons before bringing him into the back, into her office. When she did so, she told the officer, she found something wadded up in his left pocket. She asked him about it, telling him to empty his pockets.

Instead the man, 38, took whatever it was from his pocket and put it into his right hand, then clasping his fist around it. He would not, the parole officer said, give it to her. A second parole officer came to help. They both now insisted the man empty his hand. He would not and they told him to put his left hand behind his back so they could handcuff him. He would not. They grabbed his left wrist and a struggle ensued.

Additional officers arrived and the man was laid on the floor, then put in handcuffs. After all this, they were able to open his right hand. In it was a small plastic bag, clear, inside the bag a white powder. This, along with the horizontal (and one suspects soon-to-be-former) parolee, were turned over to the officer, who took it all to jail for processing.

Truth’s circle

Monday and officers were called to a home about a theft. It was Oct. 16 at 5:30 p.m.

The woman who called, 80, told officers some jewelry had been stolen sometime between her call and the previous Wednesday. The jewelry, two rings, had been kept in a bowl in a dresser in her hallway.

The woman told police she suspected the thief was one of two man who had been in her home, hired as they were that Wednesday to deliver a chair. When they were inside each at separate times asked to use her bathroom, which would have had them walk right past the dresser holding the jewelry. The first man was only in the restroom for a few moments, the second man longer, she told the officer.

She tried to offer the men some cash as as tip, she told the officer, but they refused. The older of the two, she said, seemed especially put off by the offer of a tip, and she wondered to the officer if that wasn’t a reflection of his guilt for taking her rings.

The next day the officer called the moving company and told them about the situation, getting the names of the two men from the manager. The manager was already aware of the suspicions as the woman had called earlier, the officer was told.

The manager told the officer he spoke with one of the men already, the one especially put off by the tip, and that man assured he did not have any jewelry. The second man was on an out-of-state delivery and couldn’t be reached, but would be asked when he got back, the manager said.

The officer told the manager he had gotten some good finger prints from the dresser and the jewelry bowl which were in the process of being sent off to the state crime lab. If either of the men wanted to turn the rings in, seeing as to how the woman wasn’t looking to proceed on criminal charges, they could drop them off at the police station and that would be that. He also gave the manager the report number and his personal contact info in case either of the men wanted to speak with him.

Behold: Underwear

It was 3:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 16, when police were called to the TJ Maxx at Conway Commons. As the officer made his way to the store dispatch called with an update, describing a young man who had been caught shoplifting. The officer arrived and there, as described, was the man. They spoke.

The man, 48, told the officer he hadn’t taken anything, that the store’s loss prevention associates, in levying the charge, were harassing him. The officer asked the man if he could search him and the man agreed. There, inside the left leg of the man’s pants, unworn, was a pair of boxer shorts, the tags still on them. Thus the man was arrested for shoplifting.

The loss prevention associate provided the officer with a receipt for what was missing, the boxer shorts and two bottles of (yet unfound) cologne. The same person gave the officer a written statement.

The man charged with shoplifting was taken to jail and processed.