From Conway Police Department reports


Police were called to an apartment on Wednesday, Oct. 18 at 5:24 p.m. for an agency assist (where a given responding agency, such as the Fire Department, asks for police presence). When the reporting officer arrived they were told by the fire department of two boys, 7, who were in an apartment when the food cooking in the oven began to smoke. One of the boys ran next door and called 911.

The two boys had been left home alone while their mother went shopping, the officer was told. He tried to call the mother at the number given several times, but with no response. The officer, who had gotten the call at 5:24 p.m., then met the mother, 32, when she arrived at the apartment at 6:08 p.m., he reported. She had her three other children with her.

She told the officer she had gone to a local general merchandise and sporting goods store when she was out. She was issued a citation for endangering the welfare of a child.

The officer called DHS, and an investigator said she was on the way, but asked for the officer to wait until she got there, a roughly 20 minute request. This was in case a "protection plan" needed to be put in place or if the children would be removed, per the report. The officer also called the child abuse hotline and was given a case number, which he included in the report.

As it was shift change, the officer was relieved before the DHS investigator arrived.

Crank bait

Police were called to the Hardee’s on Dave Ward Drive on Wednesday, Oct. 28 at 9:11 p.m. A man was there to repossess a car and had gotten hit by the car they were trying to repossess, the officer was told. He arrived on site and spoke with the repo man and his two co-workers, the driver having already left the scene.

The man who’d been struck said he’d found the pickup he’d been sent out to get parked at the restaurant. As he moved to repossess it, pulling his truck and trailer up, the truck owner came out, saw what was going on, got in the truck’s cab and locked the door. He then started it and pulled away, pulling forward, over the curb. As he did so the man who was repossessing moved to the front of the truck to stop the man, who instead kept going, "tapping," as the report put it, the repo man.

The man told the officer he didn’t think the act was intentional, and he didn’t want to press charges, nor did he suffer any injuries. They needed the report so they could file a court order for the truck, he explained.

After the repo crew left the Hardee’s got a call from the man who had driven off in the pickup. The manager went and got the officer so the two could speak. The officer reported the man told him he had receipts showing his fees were paid up to date on the truck and the repossession order was supposed to have been lifted. He didn’t know he had hit anyone, he told the officer.

The officer explained the incident, while reported, carried no charges and the repo crew did not wish to press charges.

And then it got worse

It was 1:09 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 18, when police were called to the Roadrunner on Skyline Drive. A shoplifting, police were told, was taking place. The officer arrived and was met by the assistant manager.

A woman, the manager told the officer, had hidden some things on her, then went into the bathroom. As they were speaking the woman in question walked out of the bathroom. Handcuff city and the woman was, in that terse language of police reports, "taken into custody." Meanwhile the manager went in the bathroom and found the aforementioned concealed items.

The officer then turned his attention to a man sitting out front behind the wheel of a Dodge Durango. The officer asked: Was his wife inside the store and wearing a blue jacket? Yes, the man replied, to which the officer explained she was being arrested for shoplifting. The officer got the man’s ID and found out that he had a warrant out of Faulkner County. Handcuffs again, in that very busy city, and another was taken into custody.

Arrangements were made and the Durango was impounded.

As the officer moved to load the husband and wife in for the trip downtown he had to pause. The woman was having "anxiety issues" and he needed to help her take her jacket off before loading her in. An interruption as this was, the officer laid the two cell phones he had in his hand on the hood of his car. He then loaded the woman, then her husband, then left.

"On my way to the jail I looked in my passenger seat and did not see the phones," the officer reported, admitting that it was here he recalled placing both phones on the hood of his car. They were no longer there. He called an officer still on site at Roadrunner and she was able to find one of the phones in the parking lot, but not the other. Later a sergeant was able to find the other phone lying on Harkrider Street. When the second phone was handed to the officer he noted the screen was shattered.

He took it to the man who said while the other phone, the one found in the parking lot, had a cracked screen, this one had not. The officer told him when he got out of jail to take the phone to the police and speak with a supervisor.

A photo was taken of the damaged phone, the report concluded.