From Conway Police Department reports

Water money

It was one minute, one, after 10 p.m. on Monday Oct. 23 when police were called to 10 Box on Harkrider. The reporting officer arrived and spoke with a manager there.

The manager told him of two men who’d come into the store, took some things, and left without paying for them. The officer was given video footage of the event, showing the pair entering the store at 9:03 p.m. and leaving at 9:07 p.m., products in hand. The manager also gave the officer a description of the men and what they were wearing.

A store employee, the officer was told, was with the two men when the event took place. The manager said before the officer had gotten there he told the woman who had been with them to call the two men and tell them to come back to the store and pay for what they took, that they had until 10 p.m. At 10:03, just before the officer’s 10:10 arrival, the two men came into the store and officer the manager $5 "to call things good." He refused, believing there was more than that which had been taken.

Just before the officer arrived the two men had left, last seen on bicycles heading east on 6th Street. In describing the men, one was said to be wearing a red jacket which he had returned to the store.

The items taken were a water bottle, a candy bar and a 25 cent drink for a total of $2.95, the officer was told.

In a supplement, police made contact with the two men later that night, coming across them during a traffic stop. They were wearing the same clothes as in the store video.

Luck as a thing

Tuesday, Oct. 24 at just after 2 a.m. when police were called to a home on Silver Falls Drive regarding criminal mischief and battery. The reporting officer arrived and reported meeting three people, two women and a man.

The man told the officer of being outside and there, before his eyes, was a woman (not one of the women present) vigorously beating on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix which was parked there. The car belonged to one of the women present. The man told the officer the woman beating on the car, who he named, had a pipe in her hand in order to facilitate her attack.

The same woman had attacked the car in the past and there was a previous report filed on that event, the officer was told. In this case the woman had punctured all four tires, bent the windshield wiper and cracked the windshield. The officer was told the woman also broke the glass in the rear view mirrors, but noted in the report no broken glass on the ground.

Another officer, meanwhile, was speaking to the second woman about a battery (as the report put it) which had taken place at the same time. A report was referenced.

The reporting officer was told the car-beating woman lived in an apartment complex just down the road. The officer went there to speak with the woman, but found she wasn’t home. Her two children, however, were home, and asleep, per the officer’s report. As they were getting ready to leave a call from dispatch came in, and the woman accused of car-beating wanted to report a battery. They went to speak with her.

The woman, 39, told police she was in the area where the car beating took place because she was visiting someone who lived behind the home where the officer took the report. The officers pressed her for details, and she then told them she’d never said she was visiting anyone - the officer noting here there was no house behind the one in question. Regardless, the woman said she wasn’t visiting, she was looking at a house for sale behind the first house where the Gran Prix was parked.

The woman who owned the car was given a report number and encouraged to call back with any further information.

(While commonly used for wheeled-sports events, a Gran Prix is any event which is a competition for a major prize, such as chess, snooker or equestrian events. It is, of course, most typically recalled as the name for a prestigious international motorsports event, no doubt leading to Pontiac’s use of the term beginning in 1962 to describe its sports-luxury model. The name is also recalled as the title of a 1966 movie about the dramatized lives of professional race car drivers. The film was shot with a number of sequences during actual Formula 1 races - the top echelon of open-wheel international road course racing - using at times 70mm cameras mounted on cars in competition. The film won three academy awards for technical achievement.)

Dog chair

A woman came to police literally in the opening minutes of Tuesday, Oct. 24 at two minutes after midnight, to file a report. She had been threatened, she told the officer.

The woman explained to the officer that the day before when she agreed to sell a woman some things via an online yard sale. As the woman was at her home and the sale was being made, her dog jumped into the woman’s car, she told the officer.

She got her dog out of the woman’s car and there on the seat was a scratch made by the dog. The woman who owned the car was "slightly upset," she told the officer, and told the woman the scratch would need to be fixed. A call was made to the Kia dealer and the woman was told the repair would take about $300. She asked the woman, now standing before the officer, for the money.

She told the woman her insurance wouldn’t cover it, she was unemployed, and she didn’t have $300, she relayed to the officer. She offered to pay it out. She gave the woman her name and phone number and the woman left.

Not long after the woman’s husband called her multiple times, she told the officer, then left a text message. She replied to the text, again stating she didn’t have the money but was willing to pay it out. She didn’t want to argue, she texted.

Then she received another voicemail. The woman’s husband said he knew were the woman he called lived, knew her license number and was going to be pressing charges against her. This made her uncomfortable, she told the officer, so she came to police to file a report.

The officer said the report for harassment would be filed, and she had up to one year to file charges, then gave her the report number. No report had been filed by the Kia driver or her husband, the officer concluded in his report.