From Conway Police Department reports

No, just no

It was a car accident which led to the arrest of a man for drunk driving Tuesday, Oct. 28 at 11:17 p.m. Police were called as a car, a black Nissan Altima, was in a ditch, nose first, in front of Covington Square apartments. Nobody was around the car. The officer looked inside and saw an empty whiskey bottle on the passenger-side floorboard, next to it a beer can. The officer called the car’s tag in hoping to get a name and location on someone related to the car. As he was doing so, a man walked up, coming from a nearby gas station.

The man, 26, told the officer it was his car, and the officer asked him what happened. "Someone pulled out in front of me," the man replied.

And it was here by the ditched Altima, in the late night chill of Fall’s breath, the officer noticed something, a smell really, an olfactory presence. There, by the road side while speaking with the man, the officer noted the "odor of intoxicants."

The officer asked: Had the driver had anything to drink? "No," the man, 26, replied. To this the officer responded that it was time for the field sobriety test. And so it began: First with the eyes-follow-finger thing, then the walking and turning, then the one leg stand.

(The three main tests in a field sobriety test, the horizontal gaze nystagmus, the walk and turn and the one-leg balance, are standardized tests. The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration studied the sobriety tests used by various departments in 1975, leading to this standardization as these three being the most effective to show condition reliably. A 1981 study showed the nystagmus test - the eyes-follow-finger - can identify a person with .10 BAC 77 percent of the time, although some question the study’s statistics.)

The man was tested, showing some clues (the test is not pass-fail, but instead scored as to "clues" given by the test-taker). He was handcuffed and loaded up for the trip downtown, and arrangements were made for his car to be towed and impounded. In searching the car in preparation for impound, the officer found two beers in the center console.

At the station the man refused to sign any forms, telling the officer he would not do so even before the officer read him his statement or rights. The officer called the city attorney and arrangements were made to get a search warrant so the man’s blood could be drawn - since by not signing the forms police could not give him a breath test.

Despite efforts by both Email and phone, however, the officer was not able to reach a judge to get the search warrant signed. He was taken to jail and held without bond due to his history, the report concluded.

Smoke on the warder

An officer was at Hendrix College for a found property incident , where he met with a college security officer and two resident advisers. It was Tuesday, Oct. 28 at 3:14 a.m. and the officer was told by the resident advisers that they had just left a residence hall where they smelled marijuana.

They smelled marijuana, the presentation continued, from a particular room. They went to the room and there were six people in the room, and four more outside in the hallway. They, they explained to the officer, called security and an investigation was undertaken. The reporting officer was given the name of the 10 people about the room, and added statements which were attached to the report.

The security officer explained to the reporting officer that he and a third resident advisor did a plain view search of the room from which they "collected numerous pieces of evidence" which was currently being held at the security office for Conway Police. Statements were taken, and evidence was gathered, additional officers arrived to inspect the room in question.

Included in the evidence was a bag of methamphetamine, listed as being "intent to deliver," marijuana, also with intent to deliver, a variety of pills, with same intent, LSD with intent, and drug paraphernalia.

(Not) locked

Police were called to 10 Fitness on Harkrider Tuesday night, Oct. 25 at 7:05 p.m. A theft, they were told, had taken place.

The reporting officer arrived and met the man who reported the theft. The man said he’d come to the gym and changed, putting his street clothes in a backpack which he then locked in a locker. After his workout he came back and found his backpack was now missing, the locker door open.

The lock was still on the locker door, locked, the officer noted in his report. Upon closer inspection he noted further the lock shank was so small that the locker door could be operated without impacting it. He recommended to the man that he get a lock with a larger shank.

The man told the officer he didn’t see anybody with his backpack, nor at that point had any of his accounts, such as banking accounts, been used. He was told he should contact the various agencies and report his cards stolen before any fraud was enacted.