From Conway Police Department reports

Mongo drink

It was 1:22 a.m. on Halloween, Oct. 3, when police were called to Bears Den Pizza. An active fight, officers were told, was underway. The reporting officer, a block away, arrived quickly.

When he got there he saw a circle of men wearing "Security" shirts surrounding two men lying on the ground, one man on top of the other. The man on top was telling the man beneath him to stay on the ground. He was not punching the man below, the officer reported. As the officer closed on the scene he heard the man on top shout "stop biting me" several times, then punch the man below him.

The officer survey the scene quickly and made the decision to put the man who had been at the bottom into handcuffs. The man cooperated and the others in security shirts stood back as this took place. Here the officer noted "the odor of ethyl alcohol" on the breath of the man being put in handcuffs. The officer stood the man up and as other officers were arriving worked to separate the groups so he could speak with individuals.

The first person he spoke with was wearing a security shirt and had a bloody nose. He told the officer the man currently in handcuffs had been in the bar drinking, then got into a fight with another man. He said he broke up the fight and got the man to calm down, but this was only a brief respite, as the man decided he wanted to fight the man in the security shirt. They got him outside, he told the officer, where he pushed another man to the ground. When he got between the man looking for a fight and the man he pushed down, a fight began in which he was a unwilling but active participant, he told the officer. When he got his nose bloodied, after an exchange of blows, another man intervened.

Then the officer spoke with the man who’d been on top of the man in handcuffs when he first pulled up. He said he saw the man in handcuffs was going to "get the upper hand" on the security guard, so he intervened, holding the man on the ground. He punched him when he began biting, he told the officer.

The officer now turned his attention to the man in handcuffs, noting here the "overwhelming odor of intoxicants." Talking to the man was difficult, as he had trouble speaking coherently, or forming sentences. He was able to relay that he had been in the bar drinking, then, next thing he knew, he was outside fighting. Throughout this, the officer noted, he went through several mood swings, from sad to inquisitive, then confused and on to angry, over and over.

A man who was with the handcuffed man, who apparently was the one the initial near-fight at the bar began the chain of events, was there, drunk, and wanted to take the man currently in handcuffs home.

The officer decided this was not a good idea and took the man to jail for public intoxication.

The booking process was drawn out, as the man refused to walk into jail, staff of which then had to use a chair to transport him.

Nobody involved in the fighting wanted to file charges, per the report.


Police were called to Kroger on Salem on Tuesday morning, about 8:20 a.m., for an employee to give a report. An officer arrived and spoke with the woman.

She said she had been walking to work that morning when an "elderly white male" stopped to offer her a ride, which she took. On the way the man ("man") reached over and put his hand on her thigh. She quickly removed his hand, she told the officer.

The officer reported the woman was very shaken by the event and wanted to make a report, which he did.

And the bad news is

A woman called police to report a theft. Officers arrived at her home that Monday evening, Oct. 31, at 6:44 p.m.

The woman said her roommate had stolen her phone, and taken $160 from her. She explained to the officer that she had been in jail since Friday, and when she got home the phone, and the money from her wallet, was missing.

Her roommate was the only person who would be able to gain access to these things, she told the officer. She added that when she got home she found her roommate had moved out and she was not able to get in touch with her.

She was given a report number and the warrants process was explained to her.