From Conway Police Department reports


It was midnight, straight up midnight, on Saturday, Nov. 11, when police were called to Harp’s grocery story on South German Lane regarding a theft.

The reporting officer arrived and there spoke with a cab driver. The driver told him of a woman, giving her name, who had him pick her up at Conway Regional Hospital and take her to a Vilonia home. They arrived, and the woman told the man she didn’t have the money for her fare, and asked to be taken back to Conway. The driver then took her to Harp’s. There, again, she said she didn’t have the money. He called police. The woman owed $30, he reported.

The officer spoke with the woman, asking for her ID. She didn’t have ID, the woman said, and the officer got her name and birthdate.

Dispatch was unable to match the woman with any records. After some time the officer asked, and the woman said she was from Louisiana. She was cuffed and stuffed for the ride downtown. There at the jail the woman was given a citation for theft of services and turned over to jail staff.

You stuff and their stuff

It was 5:40 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 19, when police were called about a robbery at a Gum Street address. The reporting officer and a second officer arrived at the home, speaking with the man who called in the report.

Officers were told by the man that he had left the home two days earlier for an out-of-town trip. The day after he left, that Saturday, he got a call that the woman he was renting the home from - giving officers the woman’s name - and some guys who worked for her were at the home, removing appliances.

The man admitted to officers this was not a surprise per se, as he had gotten a letter earlier that he was being evicted.

When he got home, however, the man told officer, his 55 inch television was missing, "and his kitchen window pushed in." The reporting officer checked the window area, but was unable to raise any finger prints. The man blamed the landlord, who had taken the blinds from the windows, for the theft, as it left it visible from the street what was inside the home. He was also upset the landlord had taken his appliances, the officer reported.

The man asked the officer to take a report as the landlord had entered the home and led to his television set being stolen. The officer reminded the man that he was not an expert on evictions, but said he thought the landlord had the right to come in and take her property, especially as she had properly served the man his notice of eviction.

The man was given a report number.

An honest man

Monday then, Nov. 20 at 6:56 a.m. when an officer on patrol saw a Chevy Cruze driving on Oak Street. Be that as it may, but the car’s license plate had expired in May. The officer went blue lights and pulled the car over near the Kohl’s shopping center.

The officer, as is typical in such matters, stepped up to the car, asking for license, registration, and insurance paperwork. The driver, the only person in the car, told the officer his driver’s license was suspended and this was something he had been ticketed for in the past.

A second officer arrived to assist.

The officer had the driver take a seat in his patrol car while he inventoried the Cruze and got it ready to be impounded. In all this he called in the man’s ID and confirmed he had a suspended license.

The man was taken to jail, cited for driving on a suspended license and for failure to register his car. He was then turned over to jail staff.

Side not pocket

Police got a call from the VFW on Saturday, Nov. 18, at 3:15 p.m.

The caller said a man, described as a "young man," had been in the club the night before playing pool. He apparently made a poor shot which led to his kicking the side of the pool table, twice, as a result of which two of the table’s sides broke loose.

He did not have the young man’s name, the caller said, but expected he would be able to get it that night as patrons arrived for the evening.

The reporting officer explained the warrants process to the man, and how to seek restitution.