Butter Pecan Cookies
No one will know these are both gluten- and sugar-free unless you tell them!
Time: ~ 25 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
• 1 1/2 cups toasted pecans*
• 1 cup butter, room temp
• 1 cup monk fruit sugar
• 2 eggs*
• 1 tablespoon vanilla
• 2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon corn starch
• ½ teaspoon sea salt
• More sea salt for garnishing
Gluten Free Baking Mix
Makes enough for about 2 batches, plus a bit left over.
• 1/2 cup coconut flour
• 1/2 cup brown rice flour
• 1 1/4 cups almond meal
• 3/4 cup chestnut flour
• 1/2 cup quinoa flour
• 1/2 cup tapioca flour
• 1 1/4 cups sweet rice flour
1) If you’re making your own gluten-free baking mix, combine your flours and stir together. Set aside.
2) Toast pecans over medium low in a skillet until they become fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool.
3) Using a hand or stand mixer, whip butter and gradually add in the monk fruit sugar. Add in eggs one at a time, then vanilla.
4) Stir in dry ingredients until combined. Chop up pecans and stir together until thoroughly mixed. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.
5) Remove dough and let come to room temperature – at least 20 minutes. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350F.
6) When pliable, use a scoop or a spoon to gather a tablespoon of cookie dough. Roll with hands into flattened disks. Place an inch or so apart on baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 8-10 minutes — until edges or tops begin to brown.
7) Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack.
Enjoy with a tall glass of milk or a hot cup of tea (or coffee).
*Local goodies from Barnhill Orchards and Bluebird Hill Berry Farm.