Potato & Andouille Soup with Peas
Time: 50 - 70 minutes
Yield: 4 - 6 servings
• 1 pound Andouille pork sausage*
• 1 large onion
• 2 cloves elephant garlic*
• 1-2 pounds potatoes*
• 4 cups chicken stock
• 1 bay leaf*
• 1 pound frozen English peas*
1) Heat a dutch oven or large soup pot over medium. Remove sausage from its casings, chop onion — add both to the pot. Stir occasionally to crumble the sausage.
2) Chop and smash garlic into a paste. Chop potatoes into bite-sized pieces and rinse off the starch.
3) Once the sausage is cooked through, use a paper towel to absorb some of the excess oil. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add potatoes, chicken stock, and bay leaf. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until potatoes are fork-tender.
4) Add peas and continue simmering until heated through.
Serve with cornbread and try not to eat too much like I did.
*Local goodies from Grass Roots Farmers’ Cooperative, Cedar Rock Ridge, Green Acres Atkins, ABC Nature Greenhouse & Herb Farm, and Bluebird Hill Berry Farm — all acquired through Conway Locally Grown.