Dr. Quentin Washispack, community outreach and missions pastor of Fellowship Bible Church in Conway, was the recipient of the first Senate 30 Community Service Award. District 30 Senator Gilbert Baker presented him with an Arkansas State Senate citation and a gift certificate to Stoby’s Restaurant.
The Nursing Home Gift Fund of Faulkner County delivered gift bags to area nursing homes. County Judge Preston Scroggin, dressed as St. Nick, strode down the halls of St. Andrews Place along with volunteers from the gift fund as the gift bags were handed out.
A ground breaking ceremony for the construction of a memorial to honor Faulkner County citizens who died as a result of enemy action in wars of the 20th century was held on the southeast grounds of the Faulkner County Courthouse. More than 166 service personnel would be honored with their names carved into the handsome black Connecticut granite.
Greek Miller of Greek Miller Construction was named Builder of the Year for 1992 by the Faulkner County Home Builders Association. He had been a builder since 1976 and had served on the association’s board of directors for the past five years.
Conway High School Band Members were helping in the annual Civitan Fruitcake Sale to finance their Cotton Bowl Parade trip.
Debby-K Tot Shop and Country Squire Casuals were both having a sale on dresses at the Con-ark Village Shopping Center.
Bob’s Grill opened for business at 828 Chestnut. Bob Green, the proprietor, also owned 64-65 Restaurant.
Municipal Judge Rolland A. Bradley had a familiar name on his docket. R.A. Bradley was fined $2 for illegal parking.
Cash Lumber moved to its new location at Garland and Hamilton, one block east of Minute Man off Highway 64 and 65.
Dr. J.E. Cobb of Texarkana assumed the duties of pastor of the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church. He was reared in Faulkner County near Enola. He entered the ministry in 1917 and left to obtain his college and theological training in 1920. He succeeded the Rev. E.T. Burgess, who was named pastor of a church in Waldo.
Dr. John Hutto, who spent most of his life practicing medicine in the Southside community between Damascus and Bee Branch, passed away after an extended illness. He was survived by seven sons and two daughters who lived in the area.
Robert Gordon, wife and son, Horace, concluded a week’s visit in Conway and left for their home in Whitewright, Texas. The return trip was made in a "Tin Liz," bought from Dan Wilson of Shirley. Just before their departure, Mr. Gordan remarked, "I left this place the last time 46 years ago, driving an old red steer and a muley bull, hitched to a typical wagon of that day."