December 17


Chase Hickey, Calvin Manion and Austin Thrash, were pictured with the band Lolly Bottom Boys, playing in a Conway School of Music benefit concert in the Bob Nabholz Boys and Girls Club. All proceeds went to the club.

Dr. John Smith, former interim UCA President, was named vice-president for student affairs at the University of South Alabama in Mobile.

The Conway Emergency Operations Center, "the Bunker," was placed under the umbrella of the Conway Police Department. It was built in 1997 using funds from a bond issue and equipped in 2001 with a Dept. of Homeland Security grant.


Snowflakes Stephanie Williams and Elizabeth Robertson were pictured during a rehearsal for the Faulkner County Day School’s preschool Christmas program, "Santa’s Wonderland," which would be presented for parents.

Mary Lee Shirley, supervisor of special education and gifted and talented programs for the Greenbrier School District, was presented a certificate of special recognition by Supt. Bobby New for her "outstanding contribution to the Greenbrier School District." Shirly was in her 15th year with the district.

Lindsay Irion received a plaque from St. Joseph Elementary principal Elizabeth McDuff for raising the most money for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital.


A play, "Let the People Speak," was presented at First Methodist Church under the direction of Mr. and Mrs. Glen Irby. The cast included Judy Baker, Mike Shock, the Rev. Tom Slinkard, Dr. Lloyd Guerin, Richard Hudson and Robert W. Henry.

Miss Nancy Selig, a SCA sophomore and reigning Miss Conway, was pictured signing a donor coupon signifying her willingness to participate in the blood drive when the Red Cross Bloodmobile was at the National Guard Armory. The Conway Jaycees were sponsoring the blood drive and was seeking 300 contributors.


A claim of $8,490 by Hiegel Lumber Company against the ASTC for carrying charges connected with the construction of the Torreyson Library building 12 years earlier was approved by the state claims commission at Little Rock.

The Conway Memorial Hospital was filled to overflowing and the institution had ten persons on a waiting list. A new obstetrical department was being installed on the basement floor and was expected to be in readiness within a few weeks. The hospital placed some patients there while at least two were put in the halls of the basement floor.


Fire, caused from an overheated oil stove in the barber shop of P.M. Jones at 312 ½ North Front Street, damaged the interior of the building and some of the fixtures. The fire alarm was turned in; however, Fire Chief Roderick C. Dickerson lost a crank-shaft pin out of his Ford motor truck and was delayed in reaching the barber shop. Meanwhile, the force from the garage of Smith-Hess Auto Co. and Marshal J.R. Piercey, armed with fire extinguishers and a bucket of water, succeeded in checking the fire until Fire Chief Dickerson arrived and put out the blaze.