From Conway Police Department reports

See, you don’t actually touch toads, it’s….

Toad Suck Landing is where it took place. An officer was on patrol Tuesday, Dec. 12. It was barely Dec. 12, just the twelfth minute of the first hour, when he spotted parked there a car, headlights off. He checked.

As the officer walked up to the car, there, from the driver’s side, came the smell of marijuana. The officer had the young lady seated at the wheel, one of several people in the car, get out. He could smell marijuana, the officer said, and where was it? The woman replied that she was there with friends playing Pokemon and they didn’t "have any weed left."

One person was sitting in the car’s front passenger seat, the other the car’s rear seat, a 2016 Kia Rio. The officer had them get out. The officer, again, told them he could smell marijuana, adding that he was going to search the Kia Rio. All three told the officer they didn’t have any marijuana, either on them, or in the car. A second officer arrived to assist.

The car was searched as was the driver’s purse, which she’d taken with her when she got out. There on the inside of the purse was a pocket, there in the pocket a pill bottle and there, within the pill bottle, marijuana. The driver, 31, said right away that it was her marijuana and any marijuana which had been consumed by the three had been provided by her.

She was cuffed and stuffed.

The car was released to a member of the remaining pair and they were told to leave Toad Suck Landing. The woman who had been in the driver’s seat was taken to jail, the marijuana processed as evidence. The water lapped against the landing, part of the inexorable stream which, something like life, moves through hill and dale, and at times holds a Pokemon. Soon the winter sun would break on the eastern horizon and it would be brighter.

Door, frame

Monday was Dec. 11, and Elizabeth Street was the place where dispatch sent an officer at 8:15 p.m. The address was for an apartment, and a disturbance, the report put it, had taken place there. The reporting officer arrived, and as doing so was met by a woman who was waiting at the door. The officer asked her what was going on.

She wasn’t from here, the woman told the officer. She had been staying in the apartment as the guest of her boyfriend, who had brought her there about a week ago. They’d gotten into an argument, her and the boyfriend, she told the officer, and he had kicked her out. In the process of doing so, she said, the man had hit her in the face. A second officer arrived and the woman was left with that officer while the reporting officer went inside to speak with the boyfriend.

The man told the officer he had been out working all day and when he came home the apartment was "disorganized." He, he told the officer, asked the woman why she hadn’t cleaned it up? That made her mad and they argued, he explained.

In the middle of the argument she had pulled a knife out from the kitchen and moved as if she was going to stab him. He didn’t, however, he told the officer, feel threatened by what she was doing. He did tell the officer, however, that the woman was trying to get him locked up for domestic battery, and this was not the first time she had tried to do such a thing. He did not touch the woman, he told the officer.

The officer spoke with the 50 year old man’s nine year old daughter. She confirmed what the man had just told the officer. She added that she was the woman who the officer had met outside scratch her face before calling the police. She described to the officer how the 41 year old woman did it. The officer noted here the girl’s report, beside matching her fathers, also matched the scratches he’d seen on the woman’s face when he pulled up.

The officer returned to the woman, and asked her to, again, describe what she’d been through, including the face-strike thing. The woman explained the scratches on her cheek were from the man hitting her. The officer noted the scratches matched the pattern the girl had described a few minutes earlier.

The officer told the woman that, based on his investigation, nobody was going to jail. He did encourage her to call someone to come pick her up. She left on foot shortly thereafter, before the officer was able to get her contact info.