75 years ago  

(1934)  

Rev. Joseph Pobleschek, pastor of St. Joseph Catholic Church for the past 10 years, received orders to transfer to the pastorate of Mother of Consolation Church at Mr. Carmel, Pa. During his time in Conway, Pobleschek accomplished the remarkable achievement of erecting an entirely new $150,000 church plant and lifted the parish entirely out of debt during a period of economic depression. This achievement is believed to be responsible for his call to the Pennsylvania parish. That church is greatly encumbered with debt and his superiors felt he was the one to cope with the situation. Beginning his work at Conway in March 1924, Pobleschek found antiquated frame buildings housing the church and parochial school. Under his leadership these were replaced with four handsome and modern brick buildings, which are the pride of the denomination, and all indebtedness has been removed. He also built up and strengthened the parochial school until its high school work has been fully accredited by the University of Arkansas and the state department of education. Rev. Pobleschek expressed deep regret for his departure from Conway, but said that like a soldier in the army he must obey orders of his superiors without questioning.

  

50 years ago 

(1959)

Conway High School Key Club members assisted Conway Kiwanis Club members at a Pancake Party held at the American Legion Hut. There were three crews of workers. The morning group was led by Kiwanis members Wilburn Carter and William J. Farris with Key Club members Johnny Simmons, Freddy Pike, Bill Wilson, Jack Roberts, Pat Sims, Eddie Kersey, Joe Phelps, Wilbur Owen, Marcus Rackley, Tommy Jared, Joe Fred Young and Hoody Young assisting. The Noon crew was led by Mac Benton and Jack Ross, Kiwanians, assisted by Key Clubbers Rocky Lynch, Billy Lyford, Danny Morse, Phillip Doyle, Gordon Morgan, Buddy Wyre, Frank Gibson, James Heffington, Milburn Adams, Tommy and Larry Tyler and Mike Doan. The Night crew was led by Kiwanians Wendell Bryant and Bill Clark assisted by Key Clubbers Sonny Smith, David Davis, Don Allen, Bill Dunaway, Richard Pence Jr., Joe Miller, Eddie Johnson, Dickey Hendrickson, Pell Parker, Sonny Sharp, Early Stegall, Paul Davis and Rupert Sims.

    

25 years ago

(1984)

The Distinguished Service Award was presented to Guy Murphy, executive vice president of Conway Chamber of Commerce at the 93rd Chamber of Commerce anniversary banquet. Murphy was given the award because of his outstanding work in civic affairs and in promoting commerce. Four new directors were installed at the banquet. They were Robert H. “Bunny” Adcock, Virgil Williamson, Charles D. Dunn and Cole Castellaw. New officers for the Chamber were introduced. They were Wanda Fulmer, president; Fred Duncan, first vice president, and Robert Tyler, second vice president. Rodney Todd continued to serve as treasurer. 

The Chamber presented plaques honoring First Federal of Arkansas’ new building at Oak and Harkrider streets as the best new commercial building and Central Baptist College’s Harold Cooper Complex as the best new institutional building. The Ray Fulmer family of the Holland community was honored as the Faulkner County Farm Family of the year.

10 years ago 

(1999)

Louis Stell, the chief executive offer and chairman of the board of directors for Regions Bank of Conway, received the 1999 Distinguished Service Award. Also receiving an award was Linda Linn, co-owner with her husband Danny of Linn Auto Inc. Truck Salvage. She was presented the Good Neighbor Award. Paul Tipton of Conway Block won the Sam Walton Community Leader Award and Rod Miller of City First Financial was named Ambassador of the year. Youth Achievement Awards for Agriculture were presented to Leslie Morrison and Kevin Middleton. Community awards presented were: Best New Commercial Building, Old Towne Place; Best Remodeled Institutional Building, the City of Conway for the Central Fire Station; Best Remodeled Commercial Building, Covington’s Midtown Center.